New or used car purchase?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Aug 12, 2018.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

If someone hasn't changed oil as they should on a 3.6 - I have heard of some problems. However for a person that gets there routine maintenance done properly - it's a pretty trouble free engine.

2. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I've been beating the HELL out of my 2018 Wrangler JK lease...3.6, 6 speed....ZERO problems so far....if anything would have broken it would have by now

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I never buy new vehicles. I usually get old stuff that people let things build up on. That said, ALL the new vehicles have gotten to the point that repairs are problematic. The push to make things lighter has made equipment less robust. I used to be a fan of Mopars but the last few years they have gotten to the point you can't maintain them. A simple thing like a transmission dipstick is no longer available. I know of three tows due to a leak in transmission fluid. One of which destroyed the transmission. However, ford is as bad as Chrysler on this. When I had an Expedition, I looked into changing the fluid and topping it off. Really wasteful of resources.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You only live once, why not enjoy life? I rather have a new car no matter the price. I rather know what’s been done to a car from day one.

351maverick likes this.
  5. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

HELL YES

I work my ass off, so I spend my money

clearly a lot of guys here PREFER sloppy seconds

6. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

I haven't gotten any sloppy seconds this far, by letting someone else sign on the dotted line for the full sticker rip off, I've saved tens of thousands, I drive almost new vehicles, and best of all no car or truck payment!! I work too hard for my money to just sign a 7 years plus intrest $50k truck.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like you're taking this a little personal man. It's the internet everyone has their own point of view, if you need some validation check with Stuart Smalley :)
    [​IMG]

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Who pays "full sticker" and finances a vehicle for 7 years?

Not me.

I was going to pay cash for my last new car, but after the final sales price was less than 50% of the sticker price and I learned that I could get 1.39% financing from USAA (I had to download paperwork from their site to get an ADDITIONAL $750.00 rebate for veterans), I decided to leave my money where it was. Car was paid for before I ran out of free maintenance from GM. Car is still worth nearly what I paid for it after 4 years.

9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I have bought three NEW vehicles in my life. The first was a 1986 Chevy S-10. Nice little truck. A bit cramped but it did the job for me. Less than a year into owning it, a big car with bad brakes plowed into me and shoved me 1/2 block. It got fixed but wasn't ever the same afterward. I traded it in on a 1988 S-10 that I ordered EXACTLY as I wanted. Extended cab to keep my head away from the back wall, V-6, 5 speed, highway gears. Red and black. It was sharp. It was also the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. 14 trips to 1he dealer the first year I had it. The back brakes had the adjusters on the wrong sides and would deadjust every time I backed up. I tracked down one rattle to the jack mounted in the back of the cab. Thinking it was just loose, I pulled the cover off and found a paper tag sticking up. It had two large metal washers and said "congratulations, you found one". One? Later, I had the extended warranty and took it in to have some work done. I was losing coolant and my oil was getting filthy. I didn't feel ike fooling with it and was ready to pay the $50 co-pay. No charge. It was one of GM's famous, or infamous, silent recalls. Since I took it to the dealer, they fixed it. Had done it myself, tough. The same for another shop. That soured me big time on GM. I've had some since, but they were older and well used. Factory bugs were all worked out.

The next one was a '93 Dodge Dakota. In 110,000 miles, routine oil changes and maintenance. The only major work was a steering rack at 105,000 miles. That was only because of a hole in a flooded street. In short, they all build good stuff, they all build junk.

I'd still have the Dakota if I hadn't gotten involved with a gal with 3 kids. A new Camaro may get better fuel mileage, run smoother, get better fuel mileage and so on than the second Gen Camaro's, but will a 2019 have the same soul as a 1969 or '79?

10. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

I have a friend Nathan who has a dealers license. He has access to all of the "Dealer Only", auctions in Southern California, the low mileage used cars you find on dealer lots WITHOUT the mark up. For $500, he locates the make, model and color under X mileage, he buys the car, shows you the dealer auctions sales paperwork and then you buy the car.

I will never buy another new car. The depreciation alone is worth the cost. Want a newer Mercedes, BMW, higher end car, get it this way, depreciation is incredible. 3-4-5 year old car with less than 30,000 40,000 miles selling for 20-30 of retail.

He also specializes in older one owner cars. I bought a 97 Lincoln Town car from him with 72K original miles about 2 years ago. No issues, no problems.

The guy is legit.