New or used car purchase?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Then obviously it does matter, as I said EVERY car I bought in the past 20 yrs I had gotten both, even when it’s supposed to be one or the other.

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

gramps- keep looking, there are plenty of clean used cars out there. Don't rule out higher-priced ones in favor of bottom-dollar before you've even had a look. Lots of times, the price is higher to give room for negotiation.

We've pretty much always bought new for ourselves, but mainly because we keep our cars a LONG time. But, I've recently helped a few friends through buying used (2014 CTS, 2017 Accord, 2012 BMW), and we found some really nice cars. I told my buddy he'd regret the BMW (beautifully kept, but the maintenance lurks...), but it is cosmetically very nice- as close to perfect as an 85k car can be.

Keep looking. Good luck!

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Oh yes I know we will find one - I just can’t believe a nice car lot would let one go out on the lot like that. Just blows my mind.

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am happy with my cheap car purchase. Bought a 2013 Scion tC (got it in 2012) custom ordered for me received with 0 miles. Got a 100k warranty Toyota genuine for like 500 dollars. Never needed it, but at 99.999miles I took it in, and Toyota gave me brand new set of struts, shocks, sway bars just to get the dealership work.

I just change oil every 10k miles, change cabin and car air filter per 50k miles, changed tires/brakes at 80k miles, at 150k now and will change them again at 160k. Did plugs/coolant/oil/manual gear lube change at 100k.

Darn thing is super cheap in parts and labor. Dirt cheap, and hasn't not once let me down. from Alaska to ohio to Texas, back to ohio. Driving to Florida next week. I did however hate the noise the car had from the road. So I stripped everything out, put down stinger roadkill pro dynomat material, and ensolite all over the quarters, floorboards, trunk floor. Super quiet now!

Used scion tc's with years older and 20k miles was like 22k in Alaska, I got my car fully loaded for 20k had like 2k kick back and tax free up there. Now, I am looking for an 16/17 GT 5.0 grabber blue premium with manual one day when they depreciate more. Only because I cant afford one right now. lol

I much prefer new though. I broke it in, 150k original clutch with no sign of needing replaced, think its going to last 200k. Now scion is a cheap car, its a Toyota though so simplistic and reliable I say. I have undercoating stuff on the car for ohio salt and winter, I think its going to last a really long time hopefully another 10 years.

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Well........we found something. Made a deal and are heading up to take delivery tonight.

E9B9DD1A-06B7-4E21-860E-8FF7F28CD2E6.jpeg

351maverick and FreedomPenguin like this.
  6. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

GREAT choice!

7. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

"Most People with kids don’t take care of vehicles. I’m sure there are French fries under the seats too."
    We just inherited our son's 2006 Odyssey and it was a total disaster, inside and out. Needed a new front fender and it really needed a total repaint except for the roof but I just didn't have time so I probably painted at least 1/2 of it to get it to look respectable. Their 3 kids were allowed to eat in it and I can't even come close to describing what a total pit it was. Animal crackers, cheetos, goldfish, and at least 2 spilled chocolate milk shakes. The well behind the 3rd row hadn't been cleaned in the 10 years they owned it and it was like an archeological dig going down through the layers.
    They bought a new Odyssey and my theory was that the dealer took one look at the old one and was going to charge them to trade it which was why they gave it to us.

8. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

My brother and sister in laws vehicles are the same way. Total disasters in the back seats.
    I make NO claims on being the neatest person on the planet but damn man it’s not that hard to pick up the crap and vacuum it out once in a while.

This edge we picked up was a one owner unit bought new, serviced, and traded back into the same dealership. Was very well kept. It’s literally like new inside. (And out) I wish more cars were like this.

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good deal! My cars tend to look like a bit of a disaster area from when my girls were young but they are getting better now. My wife is also a bit of a disaster when it comes to leaving food and stuff in the cars. I've found three day old banana peels in the drink holders! When I get my Camaro on the road, no drinks or food allowed and when I'm not home, the car won't be going anywhere! I will have an electronic card key locking/starting system for it and that will stay in my wallet so no sneaking out in daddy's car!

10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Back in '02, I got a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that was a lease turn in. Immaculate. The only problem I ever ran into with it was the first time I used the 4 wheel drive system, the lever didn't want to move. I had to pull hard and it popped loose. Never got stuck again. The guys at the shop told me there's a piece used to hold the linkage in place during assembly. Usually, it's removed but if not, the first time you use the transfer case it pops off. My Jeep had never been in 4WD. A few minor scratches from buttons when cleaning the windows but otherwise it looked as good as the new cars sitting nearby.