New Owner of 81 305 4 speed

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by MZ250, Feb 9, 2020.

1. MZ250

MZ250 New Member

Greetings, gentlemen. Let me be frank, I am not a "car guy", but I have for years been restoring ancient motorcycles of all kinds, from an MZ TS250 (my namesake) to Suzuki GT750 "water buffalo", so wrenching is not at all foreign to me, I do maintain our cars and my truck as much as I can. Anyhow, I was recently offered this 1981 Camaro from the original owner, 57k miles, NO RUST, never saw rain or snow. Beautiful inside and out, as you can see in the pics. The only real issue is it has been sitting since 2006, albeit in a clean garage, most of the tires still had all the air in them. I changed the oil, which was still honey colored, filter and battery today (just got the car home yesterday) new plugs, wires and fuel filter will be next, and a complete carb rebuild or replace, haven't quite decided which yet. The gas smells just like old gas always does, so I'll be siphoning that out as well. Hoses, belts and wiring are not cracked and still pliable, I really don't think the car needs all that much to run, it does crank with the key (which won't come out of the ignition, but that's a minor annoyance that can wait). It even has factory AC, which is neat, but also lame, since it's really just in the way right now. I'm really curious to see what fun the CCC has to offer me, I really wish the PO had splurged on his Camaro JUST one year earlier, but I am not about to complain, especially since literally gave me the car for free. Yes, FREE. Title stamped and handed to me just like that. Please don't hate me. Anyhow, I have a motorcycle project to finish, then I'll be into this thing full time, I'd like to have it driving by springtime. I'll be around to ask the few questions that google can't answer, and any input from the brain trust here is greatly appreciated, even smart-ass comments, as long as they are at least kind of funny. 20200205_144901.jpg 20200205_144910.jpg 20200205_144922.jpg 20200205_145047.jpg IMG_10391.jpg

2. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Wow, nice looking Camaro, can't complain about the price, looks to have lots of potential. Congrats.
    The guys on this site are a wealth of information.

3. Clay K

Clay K Member

Wow, what a deal! Congratulations on such an awesome find and welcome. I'm sure you will find all the help you will need here.

4. kelvinJ

kelvinJ New Member

Great deal indeed! This will be an interesting project.

5. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum you got the deal of the year on the car doesn’t look like it needs much to be perfect. What are your plans to do with it keep it original?

6. MZ250

MZ250 New Member

Thanks for the welcome, gents. My plan is absolutely to keep it original, it has been so well preserved, there is no excuse for chopping and hot rodding. Maybe a few invisible upgrades, but that's it. I'm even keeping the 8-track player in it. Today's task will be carb removal and cleaning. May get a rebuild kit, may not, depends on what I find, but I will most likely need the gaskets, if nothing else.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Welcome aboard !

8. Clay K

Clay K Member

You know, a 305, 350, or even a 383 all look the same under the hood....just saying.

tom3 likes this.
  9. MZ250

MZ250 New Member

Update time: Just got my rebuilt carb, bolted it on and she fired right up. This is AFTER draining 12 gallons of 14 year old gas from the tank and testing the fuel pump, of course. Runs smooth and quiet, Idles at about 650 rpm. Mysterious fuel leak that seems to be coming from the fuel filter area, but that's an investigation for the weekend. Also, the rebuilt carb has a vacuum port on the rear that my original carb doesn't, but I think just plugging it off will suffice. Other than that, I'm pretty stoked. I've had the car 5 days, it hasn't ran since 2006 and it runs now. Under 700 bucks invested so far, can't complain.

10. quentin80

quentin80 Member

Nice score for sure, any story behind who and why the guy gave you the car?

budro6968 likes this.