New Project for 2021, The Junk 400 SBC Test

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 1980RS, Jan 15, 2021.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

As if I did not have enough going on in my engine building life, lol. So I was out in the garage and staring me in the face is my old 400 SBC on the little engine cart and it looks so sad. I thought what a great project, so for this year I am going to try and make this happen.

The engine is a GM stock short block, cast pistons, crank and rods.
    Has over 30K on it but those are all hard miles and over 200 1/4 mile passes inc. nitrous runs. I will replace the oil pump and pickup as it needs that. The heads are 487X (80cc chambers) and well could use some love but for this test I will run them the way they are. I will be running the current cam in this which is a CC 268H 1st gen grind that was made in 1977. The engine has an RPM Performer on it and it will get some 1 5/8 headers. I will get a base line at the track (thinking 13's the way it is) and will change stuff from there.

1st change, go from the 487X heads to Vortec heads with a Vortec RPM intake that should make a huge change.
    2nd test, a different cam, possibly the one that is in my other 10 sec. 406 currently.

By doing this I will be able to show some of you guys what the Vortec heads will be worth over the junk heads GM made for decades. I may even try to test a Q-jet also. I will see what I have for time this year. I got a lot of stuff begging me to test it out.

Z28-79 and sooner like this.
  2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Cool testing 1980RS, I'll be watching this closely, but will "not" be surprised at all by the Vortec's...

I was "at" the dyno one day when my "engine R&D " partner was testing a fresh mild, all iron 383 sbc, 91-94 pump gas build. Dual plane, hyd FT cam, upper 10's for CR and small valve 305 Vortec heads just because the kid had them...and the budget had to fit. I think it made like 435HP and almost 500 TQ !!!

The young fella put it in a 3rd Gen Camaro with a T56 6spd and 3.73 I think, he basically walks all over many other cars with 100hp+ advantage and the jaws drop when the mid 20's fella opens the hood and they see this all black stock looking all iron mill under the hood.....and he then says he has "305 Vortec's with 1.84 intake valves, cause they were free". Not difficult to see the "hurt" feelings on some them....

If I did not have my 49cc DART's, I'd have Vortec's.

Zstar and 1980RS like this.
  3. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Great idea! Looking forward to the results :).

1980RS likes this.
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I also have some 215 Darts I just got done porting but I need to add some epoxy in the port floors to make them even better. Pretty cool about that 383, my 406 with the 062's made me a believer last year.

5. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

1980RS

did your 487X heads pour 80cc ?

1980RS likes this.
  6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

80cc small block heads? Never even heard of those. I need to get out more?

1980RS likes this.
  7. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Subscribed. Love it

Fun had with putting stuff together like this is way underrated. We get so consumed with what folks consider "doing the right thing" that we lose sight of what hot-rodding really is.

By reading your posts here and there I understand that you have many better parts/combos that you could use, but the making it work with what you have aspect is what so many of us have had the most fun with over the years. Its awesome when it flat out works.

Zstar and 1980RS like this.
  8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Back in 1991 when I put the 400 together I looked at the heads and the chambers are HUGE on the 487X's. I did look that up in the NHRA books and that's what it said. Must be true I can run that engine on 87 octane and no matter where I put the timing it will not ping.

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Thanks, I love building junk that's not supposed to work. What I really need to do it to figure out how to get more out of a 165cc factory head from the 70's as there are so many around. I would love to get 250 cfm out of that little port. Yup I have some really nice parts to make a 630hp 406 together but I cannot resist the temptation to mess with the old stuff. I have a set of Brodix -8 pro's that may turn into a raised runner head if they don't sell this spring. There's a ton of meat to raise the port roof .250 and raise the port floor the same and I am betting that will make for a killer set of SBC heads.

sooner likes this.
  10. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have never been able to crack the code on the flat floor 70's heads. I still have a set of flat floor crate motor heads that I hit water in trying to work the short turn. I kept them because I was going to make a cutaway out of one of them and apply what I learned from the cutaway on the other head but never did...and that was like 20 years ago now.

I've never put my hands on a set of -8's but if I recall correctly the exhaust ports are pretty high which would lead me to believe that you would have enough spring pocket material to raise the intake significantly. Good heads already, but would be killer with a raised runner and the majestic turn to the valve that a RR's produces.

The most fun that I have ever had with anything was the car that brought me to this site. A junk rusted out 80z28 in really bad shape that I put a re-ringed 255k mile 1996 vortec motor in. On the heads, I ground the bowls to 100% and blended them into the runners. I also put a set of stock size decent valves in them, and had them flat milled. I put a big cam in it with a really cheap convertor that flashed around 3200.

Save for the dash and the drivers seat, I took the entire interior out of it. Also removed front fenderwells, crash bars in the doors, bumpers...anything that I could unbolt or cut off with a sawzall and still be able to drive the car without body parts falling off of it.

Including the purchase price of the car, I had about $1800 in the entire rig and it would run.

1980RS likes this.