New Project - Unfortunately!!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Greg73Z28, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, been gone from the site for a couple of weeks due to the tornado that ripped through Joplin 2 weeks ago today. Got the family settled into a rental house and completed getting what we could out of the house. We were lucky for sure. I have told everyone that I left my place that Sunday night with everything I need, my Wife and Kids, the rest is just stuff. The help from people all across the country has been overwhelming to say the least.

Unfortunately, I lost my shop in the storm along with the house. My 73 Z28 was in the shop at the time. The good news is that the boat caught the upstairs floor and saved the car from complete destruction. Got it out that night and drove it to my office the next day. I have been so busy with everything else that I haven't even had time to wash it off and see what I have to deal with. After a brief inspection, looks like a total repaint but no real body damage except the drivers side spoiler cap was tore off. I consider that extremely lucky considering what some of the cars around town look like. Got the boat out yesterday and that thing isn't that bad either, believe it or not! I contacted my painter and he said he would get it in maybe by August, so no more cruises for me this year. No big deal, don't have time now anyway.

I know many of you guys here have sent thoughts and prayers for all of us here in Joplin, and for that I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart. It truely means a lot. I have included a link to my photobucket album of the damage to our house and the shop. Sorry for the lack of Camaro pics so far, we just didn't have time after the storm. The car is parked next to the boat with the garage door wrapped around the back. I thought I would start the thread now and I'll add a new album this week for the Camaro. I'll be taking pics of it tomorrow and add it here.

Let Project F5 begin - Unfortunately!!

http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/Greg73z28/Tornado Damage/?start=0

The Camaro is in the first picture of the front of the shop parked on the right side, you can just see the reflection of the rear window trim. The boat is under all the crap on the left!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Off Duty

Off Duty Member

Jesus my friend:(

I'm glad to hear that you and your family are ok. As you said, that's truly what matters!
    My heart and the thoughts and prayers of my entire family, go out to you and everyone else effected by the storms and tornadoes.

I'm glad to hear that your Camaro is ok relatively speaking.
    How bad is the boat?

Stay safe.

Gordon

3. bmxmann

bmxmann Veteran Member

WOW, good thing you guys got out of there! You picked the correct side to park the camaro on!

4. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

WOW!!!Truly devastating destruction.So sorry to see your beautiful house and shop,and the rest of those homes with all that damage.I'm glade to ear that you and your family Is safe.

5. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow that is hard to see but like you said you got the most important things out safely as in your Wife and Kids. Like you said it is just stuff and can be replaced. I feel the same way ;)

6. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very sad indeed. You are right though, as long as everybody is ok you are in good shape. ;)

I lost everything back in May of 99, and I know all too well what you are going through and how overwhelming it is.

We take it for granted that we are going to have a home to sleep in, a shower to bathe in, clothes to wear, a refrigerator to keep food in, a tv to watch.....ect.. but reality is that everything that we have worked so hard to provide for us and our family can all vanish within seconds.

I promise you that things will get better and you will have a normal life again. It just takes time.

This Joplin thing really breaks my heart. Best wishes for you, your family, and your friends and neighbors.

7. camaro1980b

camaro1980b Veteran Member

glad to hear everyone is ok. the camaro looks good but as for progect is the house fixable the notice said roof and walls so it should be a simple fix the way it is or would it be considerd "totaled" idk the term for a house. and im sure pepole here would help you out if they can get to you i know i would

8. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

+ 3

9. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Damage to the house was substantial enough from the tornado. The shop is a total loss. The problem with the house is the 8 inches of water we got the next day and the 2 more we got the next! Water damage throughout and main level floors are starting to swell and buckle. Mold everywhere! My builder says take it to the foundation and start back because stripping it to the studs would take 30 plus days and there just isn't enough material savings to justify it.

Thanks again all for the kind words and thoughts. Like I said we were lucky. We were all home together at the time it hit, holding each other and praying in the basement. We even had a couple of neighbors there that didn't have a basement. Also lucky that we have plenty of insurance to get us back on our feet and build back. Many of the older neighborhoods that were flattened are probably not as fortunate.

I'll post pics of the camaro and it's life saver (the boat) tomorrow. Boat really isn't bad. Windshield and bimini top are trashed and a dozen or so scratches on it. No obvious structural damage, but we'll have to see what the experts say on that since I'm not fiberglass guru. Hopefully get the boat back up and running before the end of lake season. Sure would help to get the kids to the lake for some normal activities. If I can get the boat and the wifes' car repaired, then I can get my truck fixed and the camaro in to the shop. I guess the 77 Z28 project will just have to wait til after we get the house done! Dang priorities get in the way of progress sometimes!!

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Incredible!

Have you considered making an underground garage for the car and a shelter for your personal things?