New Shop!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ChevyReb, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well the builder finally got to me this week and set the poles for my pole building shop. Looking to get some opinions or ideas from others who have done this for inside plans. I have a preliminary drawing of how I'm going to lay it out below. It is a 45x60-14' high shop with two 12x12 garage doors in front and a 7x8 in back rear corner...thinking paint booth area. Part man cave/mother-n-law suite and the rest shop space. What do you guys think?

Open to ideas from anyone who has done this for do's and donts. Also the yellow storage area I'm going to frame up to the bottom cord of the truss which will be about 14' high and add shelves up high for storage bins. The bottom will be for out of season clothes as our house doesn't have a lot of closet space.

Street and view of Lake across Street on this side.
    [​IMG]

2. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you'll regret having your mother in law in there xD

3. ChevyReb

That's funny. My oldest son will probably be starting a family soon as well so I won't hear the baby crying at night when that day comes as they can stay over there.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

One thing you should do is install solar tube sky lights. We have them in our house. Free lighting during the day. In a large room like 25 x25 4 of the 16" would work well or have some above your work bench.

Attached Files:

5. nova66mussl

nova66mussl Member

I would make the small garage 10' wide x 7' tall.

6. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wish I had put a floor drain in mine and skylights as others mentioned.

7. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I find myself wanting 10' ceilings

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Do not waste air space, shelf's, shelf's, shelf's.
    I hate wasting floor space for stuff that shouldn't be on the floor.

indy camaro likes this.
  9. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

One of the things I use the most in my garage is my sink. When our house was being built I had the plummers run hot/cold water lines & a drain.
    A 10 x 7 garage! Sounds like my old garage! You could pull in a car but couldn't open the doors enough to get out.
    An pre wire for a stereo & TV connections before sheet rock.

10. ChevyReb

Note: Typo on the pic. It's a 10x24 inset porch, not 12x24 like is written in 1st post.

I asked about the sky lights and a chimney and the builder said he won't install either of those or gutters. So I'm on my own for that, he said on a metal roof it's a matter of when, not if you're going to have a leak with those. I am definitely having gutters installed though to carry all the water away from the building. I doubt we would ever get enough ice or snow here to tear the gutters off and if it did happen I'd just pay to have it repaired.

I will probably add a sink to an outside wall later after final inspection. I'm trying to keep all of the plumbing in one corner to keep it simple and cheap as I can, but a well placed mop size sink is super handy. I would like to look into some solar panels and 12vdc LED lighting though.

Oh and Mr. Dragster1970 I hear you on the shelves! I am not going to clutter up the floor. If it can't go on a shelf and I need it I will add a small outside storage shed. I will have a good bit of storage over the main room spanned trusses to put fenders and stuff like that.

I've seen peoples shops that are usually either open and clean or a cluttered mess. I have promised myself to keep mine cleaned out and useable. I know you can never build one too big but I hope this size will be just about right and give me plenty of space to tinker around on stuff. May do some pontoon floor replacement work on the side in the winter months.