New Shop!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ChevyReb, Mar 10, 2017.

1. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

You will want a tool room with plenty of room for jacks, Jack stands, dolly's, welder, engine stand and hoist, and so on, maybe spare parts. You get the picture. A 10 x 6 room will fill up fast even with shelves.

2. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Its kind of a shame the builder wont cut holes in the roof. We installed some type of big bubble skylight thingys at our shop. 5 or 6 of them. looking up at them they just kind of look opaque, but they are supposed to amplify the light coming in. We can shut the lights off in the shop during the day with little difference in light. It helps a ton in the summer with the heat in the shop. Happy mechanics. We also put in some solar vent fans. these really help too.

think about some ventilation.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I would rather have a solid ceiling with 2-3 feet of insulation then a sky light.
    LED lights are dirt cheap to run, heat is expensive!!!

Trust me, I've had a 3000' shop for 23 years, heat is the biggest cost by far.
    Of course, I'm the dummy that works in a t-shirt, instead of turning it down and leaving a coat on.

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

^^^ we heat our main shop with waste oil, so our heating bill is pretty low.

5. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well down south here it's hot more times than cold, so I'm hoping that the high ceilings are going to help keep it cooler. It would be nice to find a deal on one of those Big A$$ Fans, That's another reason I put the other garage door in the back to be able to pull air through in the summer. Heck it was in the 80's here for a week strait in February!! Probably see some more Florida retirees moving this way...we call them half-backers HAHA. I will wait until I see how it turns out inside before I add any other rooms in the shop area. It will not be easy to heat that big of a space! I'll probably put in a porcelain wood stove and see how that works. If it's too hot or cold I'll get the spray in insulation and seal it up. I need to check and see how much extra it is for insulated garage doors.

6. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

You can insulate the garage doors yourself with 1.5" foam.
    An option I'd recommend over drywall is 1/2" OSB or plywood. You don't have to worry about hitting a stud to hang a shelf, bracket, etc.

They are close to the same price as well.

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

And you can paint the plywood white to brighten the room. I burnt wood for several years and finally bought a wood pellet stove. Very good heat and a lot less mess and work than fire wood. Also a 52 inch industrial ceiling fan.

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I also have central air, but my shop is very well insulated, well worth running the air when it sunny & warm out.
    I even sealed the over lap of the steel sheets just to help drafts.
    It's still hot as frick on the deck if I don't run the fans.
    I have gravel parking lot, so I keep the doors shut as much as possible, so no breeze to help.

9. BowHunter

BowHunter Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

NOT BIG ENOUGH !! Especially with living quarters in it!

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Is there a toilet? Nothing like a private place to do your business. I guy I know did a secret septic system and hid the sewer drain under a coffee can lid when the concrete was poured. When the final inspection was done he busted through the thin layer of concrete and hooked up his toilet.