New Shop!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ChevyReb, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice shop Chuck. Thanks for the link to garage site too! Not meant to be an smart arse but I have no intention to get an RV. I'm only going with 12' doors so T-top boats and pontoons with the tops up can fit. Thats way more likely to be a selling point in this area. I doubt I'll ever sell it though. If someone else wanted that they could add a door in the gable end but I wanted to keep the trees on that side for shade and privacy. There is room in the other driveway where an RV shelter could be made. This is a corner lot.

The compressor will most likely get a home outside under an awning in the back with some sound barrier and a fan to try and keep it cool in the summer.

Our house is small, but right on Lake Murray with a beautiful sunset view! The lot size is very small small and we needed a spill over living quarters and more space for storage so to make Moma happy this is what I can do. I know everyone needs a 50x100 shop but just not in the cards guys. The shop is about 200 feet from my front door one lot down across the road from the lake front. Where I put the porch and living quarters will look at the lake between the two houses across the road.

Trying to do most everything by the code book, but some things may, or may not be changed after final inspection? But seriously I won't need to make anything out of the way, I think everything is covered.

Thanks for all the tips and comments!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Craig, I really like the plans of the new shop. Having the compressor in a different area is so nice.

3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I put two windows, non-opening, in the walls up high near the peaks in mine. Too high for anyone without a ladder to get into(in fact there are no ground level windows in mine), but it lets some light in during the day. Or a particularly moonlit night.

4. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

My walls are 16' high and I have 2'x4' aluminum framed windows just under my headers on 3 sides. 24 total windows. Great light and nobody can see in. I put bollards at the corners of the doors so they would get hit instead of the door edge.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

The stupid government just started making us put those clear plastic panels along the top of exterior walls.
    They are trying to cut light usage during the day??
    The problem is now you have huge spans of no insulation that just bleeds out the heat in winter!!!!
    Only a moron thinks some clear panels being forced on us will save power, when it will obviously hemorage heat.

Complete waste of time, and added expense, from the additional labor, utilities expense!!!!

6. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Ya like daylight savings. Really! It's a researched fact that it wastes more energy than save it.

80sz likes this.
  7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I think I read that also, so then they started claiming they did it for children's safety waiting for the bus???

Seriously, who in their right mind would force a thin plastic panel in Northern Illinois???
    They started requiring 2x6 walls for added insulation, and then they force a thin piece of plastic to save on lighting???
    Oh Yea I forgot to mention they also forced LED lighting with motion sensors????
    I was working in the breaker box, and the damn lights kept going off because I was standing still.
    I had to stop what I was doing and walk in a circle to get the damn lights back on???

Way too many little peeon's trying to justify their position!!!!

8. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member

Just finishing my shop....Small compared to yours ...Only 35 x 25. I put hurricane rated 8" glass block in for light. 4 large openings at 6'6" to bottom so nobody can see in. Lets in a lot of light. I also installed an inline exhaust fan over the work island. I put all my dirty/noisey work outside. Grinder, parts washer, air compressor, welder etc all out under covered patio.

9. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

I like it when the inspector comes out and has no idea at what they're looking at. Unbelievable. I have a side business as a general contractor. Some of the codes are good but A lot are BS. like you said just to justify their job. Ya the kids were waiting for the bus in the light until the clocks changed now they're standing in the dark again. that's safe. Anyway the windows I put in are called curtain wall which are basically store front frame and glass. The clear panels look really cheap and the old lady said oh no!

10. nova66mussl

nova66mussl Member

When I did my shop addition I added a bathroom and a wash bay/ floor drain. I have 3200 sq ft of space now but these two things are what I appreciate the most. I have 4 high windows for light and a large exhaust fan which helps with heat in summer and any unwanted smells. Also went with 400 amp service so there is no power shortage.