new spings

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by cas22drummer, Nov 20, 2012.

1. cas22drummer

cas22drummer Veteran Member

my front end sits a little to low for the street right now. i have to go slow over ever dip in the road, and can barley make it over speed bumps without the headers hitting. i like the look of the car now, i wouldnt mind the front up a little, but i dont want the big space between the front tire and the fender. how tall would stock springs be? or maybe a lowering spring would be good. i like cars that are level, but what springs will give that height? im not doing coil overs due to money

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

How's the ride now? If u just wanna take it up a lil bit and the springs ride fine now, just put a spring isolator in there. If not a set of 2" drop springs may b an option. I recommend ptfb but that's IMO .
    Here's what they look like
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's the stock height of my 80 Z28 when it was 1 week old.

[​IMG]

4. cas22drummer

cas22drummer Veteran Member

The ride is fine. What is a spring isolator?

5. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

I believe the isolators are what you put between the coils of each spring increasing the spring rate.

6. DMSTAINLESS

They have some that go in the bottom of lca. It would b like the opposite of a lowering block if that makes any sense. Like a puck looking deal that would raise the front an inch or so. They also have the cork screw looking ones that u can turn in between the coils which kinda make it stiffer and good for about 1/2" of raise in the front. People that have cut too much off their springs have used these to remedy the prob of rub.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They go between the spring and the frame, they are maybe 3/8 inch thick, I don't think your gonna get much height by using them.

8. DMSTAINLESS

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Dorman/Coil_Spring_Insulator/RB905700.html?loc=Front,+Lower
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/OEQ/Coil_Spring_Insulator/W0133-1829526.html
    Actually here r the ones for the LCA and yes there are also ones that sit on top of the spring. As stated ur not gonna raise it a bunch but it will raise the car. I am not familiar with all of them but I have used the turn in style to test wheel Fitment and such and I do know first hand that they will work for 1/2" of lift for a guy on a budget. But also as stated new springs from any reputable place such as ptfb or hotchkis or eibach will be a true solution.

9. nonstopgo68

nonstopgo68 Veteran Member

Looks like its set up for the strip. If you had stock tires and wheels on back and front wouldnt that level it out?

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Isolators will raise the car a little less than 2x the thickness of the isolator. Moog K160044 isolator is 1/4", will raise the front just under 1/2", for example.

What's your current spindle center to fender lip? Give me some numbers, along with current engine compartment setup (with all pertinent weight info- aluminum heads, AC, big block, etc...), and I might be able to recommend a set of Moog replacements that will get you where you want.

If those are factory springs, they are way worn out, and the ride isn't fine at all- wait till you feel the difference with new springs.:) Spring rate is too low on nearly all factory springs for them to be used lowered.