New steering gear, pwr or manual?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Gasoholic, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

For my 78 LS swap project I'm getting ready to buy a new steering gear.
    I plan to run this car at the strip but I will also be driving it on the street for special occasions.

I'm kinda considering going manual.
    Looking at two gears, a 16:1 and 20:1
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1496q/make/chevrolet/year/1978/model/camaro
    and
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1496/make/chevrolet/year/1978/model/camaro

Any thoughts? Am I going to regret it? I may make some longish road trips with my car. Special occasions stuff like LS fest.
    Both gears are expensive, but my thoughts are it will save me from having to buy a pump and making it fit my LS3 swap.
    Also maybe might create more room for header fitment? IDK, this is my first swap.

My other thought is just stick with the pwr assist OE style. Just make it fit with the newer style pump that would fit the LS block.
    Most likely would be the Borgeson 800.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-800130/make/chevrolet/year/1978/model/camaro

Anyway just looking for input. I'm getting the steering all put back together now and need to make up my mind which way I want to go.

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

it all depends on what you want to sacrifice.... If ease of install and strip performance OUTWEIGHS the occasional street run? Like giving up power windows for the electrical mess and weight....

3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Well I did delete the A/C.
    Don't have power windows either.
    I am keeping my heater. It comes in handy for defogging the windshield. And I don't really think it robs any HP.
    I can live without A/C, power windows, cruise control. Power steering though might be a little different. I'm not a spring chicken anymore.
    I remember my old Ford F150 had manual steering. It sort of sucked, but I could live with it. Maybe not a spring chicken but not a wuss either.

I wonder how much HP is robbed from the power assist steering?

4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

So from searching a bunch it looks like manual gear = not much HP gain but decent weight reduction. Every little bit helps. And just plain less junk on the front of my motor.

Looks like I'm going to get the 20:1 manual gear.

5. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

5HP maybe??

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

In a straight line down a drag strip probably less than that even. More like fractions of a HP. The pump only loads when its asked to do work like turning. Other than that its just spinning the belt and pulley. That why the belt only slips and squeals when its a little loose and you turn the wheel.