New T/A Radials

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
My 74 stingray needed new tires 225 70 -15 in the worst way , they were 18 yrs old , rock hard , I was frightened to drive it . It came with Radial T.A. from the factory , it has the small original lettered spare left and I ve had couple sets of these tires on the car past 28 yrs. I’m ok with cleaning them , I noticed maybe 20 years ago they would not stay white like other brands , but I have a quick wipe down and 5 minutes it’s good . I never let them get really brown . These were all USA production .

Anyway , I wasn’t going to spend 1700.00 on a set of Firestones or Goodyear radial repops for the corvette . And I like the looks of the BF TA on the vette best . I like the Firestone look on the Camaro and I ll go for the high dollar radial Wide Ovals this spring .

What was a bit of surprise. They all are fresh dated August 2021 and made in MEXICO …mold in each one. They look fine , I just never knew they could be from outside US.

Attachments

• D08E2182-DE51-4B03-BFB3-731330750903.jpeg
    D08E2182-DE51-4B03-BFB3-731330750903.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 95

450bench

Veteran Member
Feb 25, 2002
memphis, tn-shelby
Imo, the bfg tires that I’ve used for years have white letters that turn brown almost immediately. Laquor thinner is the only thing that works on them. And that sucks.

I didn’t know they were made in Mexico.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
BF T/A radials were always good tires on the older cars, I think I need me some of those for my Firebird.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Have fun cleaning your Brown Letters every other week, or whenever you pull the car out.
And on a WHITE CAR . I have that Merit Badge, you'll get yours too

This will turn out to be probably the worst purchase / selection you ever made.

Last edited:

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
A 74 vehicle of any make/model could not come factory with tires from 76 or later.
Sorry , your are wrong . 73-76 raised white letters were an option on the C3 CORVETTE ….the car I’m talking about . Most were Goodyear or Firestone , but it’s been proven some were factory fitted with B. F. Goodrich Radials , Your right they did not say TA till 76 ….but never the less they were radials with white letters radials , the 73 corvette was first vette that suspension was set up or tuned for radials tires.

Last edited:

DougD

Veteran Member
Dec 2, 2014
Bradenton, FL
So you are saying a tire that first appeared on production until 76 or 77 magically appeared on cars built earlier than that? Your math doesn't work. I'm happy to verify with friends at NCRS.

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
So you are saying a tire that first appeared on production until 76 or 77 magically appeared on cars built earlier than that? Your math doesn't work. I'm happy to verify with friends at NCRS.
1973 ….it’s right here ….bought them ….they came on a few 73 corvette ,most were uniroyals and Goodyear’s and prior to that 71 firebirds too. Nothing magic ..it’s a fact jack. Radials were available, from BF good rich , they started making them in 1965 . The plants had to ship substitutes when supplies were low , a few corvettes had them . What’s s so hard to understand

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224148708483

Last edited:

Latest posts