New truck! 2001 8.1L 6spd manual

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by woody80z28, Aug 8, 2020.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So, the wifey got fat and decided I needed a new truck to haul our little bundle of joy around. haha. My beloved ol' Z71 regular cab that I built and drove for 10 years was getting rusty. So I actually bought (two) ext cab trucks like mine to swap over all my good stuff (9.7:1 Vortec 357 with roller cam and DIY tuned TBI, NV4500 5spd swap and 14-bolt rear). Auto trans is a deal breaker for me, so I figured swapping all my stuff was easiest. First truck ended up being a lot rustier than the pictures and the second one I had transported all the way from Cali and it was amazing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, the wifey found this 496/6spd In Colorado near her sister's...so I snatched it up and then sold all the other trucks. It needed some work, but altogether I'm into it for about the same money I sold the other trucks for, and it's 9,200gvw instead of 6,100, and 15,600 tow rating instead of 7,000. And Tiffany's big thing is the fact that it has 4 doors, and I bet the 2 door ext cab would have been a bigger ass ache than I realized honestly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's been mostly cosmetic work and general maintenance, but I did put a new intake tube on it, swap to efans, DIY tune the PCM, add a helical LSD out back and put louder mufflers on. It doesn't really need crazy mods, because it handles heavy trailers awesome as-is...and these BBC/LS bastard-child 8.1s are pretty damn pricey to build. I was amazed at what just a tune did though. Stock these things have no power enrichment and the spark is only 18 degrees at WOT!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BillyDean7173, ChevyReb, 80sz and 3 others like this.
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Sweet. 18° at WOT? WTF were they thinking. Nice job on the truck and the rockers are still on there. All the trucks here in MN are junk rotted out and the ones like yours that are clean people want like 10 bazillion dollars for it.

gramps likes this.
  3. woody80z28

Same here in NY. I got my last one from NC and the poor thing was looking pretty rough after 10 winters. Stuff from Colorado is pretty clean...I'm really happy with it. Still doesn't compare to Cali though. haha. I'm Fluid Filming the hell out of this one every year. I want it to last me 15 more.

I got lucky with the price on this one...$4,000! Has 160k on it, but the main reason it was cheap was the clutch. The return spring on the pedal made it feel really spongy and terrible cause there wasn't any actual friction until the bottom. So a few people test drove it and no one even offered. I was expecting to put a clutch in it, but I just took the return spring off and now the pedal feels normal. Never gave me any issues pulling a 14,000lb camper either, so I think it's 100% fine. Even with everything I've done I'm still well under $10k, which I think would be a reasonable price...especially considering how rare the ZF6 is. Supposedly 3% of 8.1s came with the stick, and only 5% of the Dmax trucks.

4. woody80z28

Almost finished with a little headlight project. I wanted to try one of these cheap flexible LED DRL strips to see how they hold up. Plan is to use two pairs for the Camaro tail lights, but the tail light project will be more in depth and more expensive to replace if I don't like how it turns out. So for $15 I'm gonna run these and see how it goes. Give it a more modern look, too. I like to be different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Photoshop of the tail light plan:
    [​IMG]

5. woody80z28

Fixed the faded roof with 2k rattle cans. It's not amazing but it's pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fabricated some mounts out of 3.5" exhaust clamps and heavy angle iron to make a Tahoe swaybar work with a 2500HD. Used Beretta endlinks for their extra length and double balljoint style. Really improves cornering a lot. Especially for the like $60 I have in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We got about 30" of snow a couple weeks back. I had some fun pulling out the wife's Subaru and a few days later I got to play in it (but sadly the sun already compacted it down quite a bit). Still a champ though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made a little youtube video:

Zstar likes this.
  6. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 2000 1500 Silverado that I purchased new.70k miles and the frame rusted out and failed inspection.
    I bought a 2001 extended cab from Arizona with 170k on it and it looks almost new on the under side.
    The heat/AC box was shot because of the Arizona heat so I swapped the one out of the 2000.

I undercoated the new one with Cosmoline.

https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/?gc...joaGh3gTXfGVEtPaEGonANpto-yGFb_xoC2CAQAvD_BwE

Very happy with the product.
    NHOU seems to be the same thing.

7. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Nice looking co-pilot
    I miss my English bull
    She was almost 13 when it was her time

8. woody80z28

Yeah. We just lost Dozer about a month ago. He was a good buddy. 11.5 years old. We have another English who I'd swear was half boxer if I didn't know better. Super hyper. And scared of everything? Total opposite of the old man. Doz took road trips from NY to CO, NC, TN, PA. Probably more road trip miles than some humans. Haha

9. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Truck looks great!

I thought about cosmoline for auto rustproofing, but never tried it. We use a lot of salt here in Michigan. I should give it a try on my winter truck.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

this is why we cant have nice camaros