Newbie Have Z28 drive train questions

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by WWhunter, Jan 13, 2022.

1. WWhunter

WWhunter New Member

Hello everyone! Newbie here....without a Camaro, but I do have a 1959 Corvette with a Z-28 drivetrain. Hence my inquiry on this site. Little back story...

I purchased this Vette around 1981 and at the time was told the complete drive train a=was out of a '1970 1/2' Z-28. It's a 350 CI 360 HP LT-1 mated to a (I believe a close ratio) Muncie 4-speed and (I will have to check) but think it's a 10 bolt rear with 4:10 gears. The car was a beast when I used it for my daily driver in the early 80's. I had the engine rebuilt just before putting the car into long term storage. Honestly, I would probably disassemble it and go thorough it again after it has sat all these years without being run. I had all the numbers and specs written down but they have gotten misplaced during all the military moves.

Engine vin is V0216CTB. Can check to Transmission or the rear-end right now since the car is on my trailer in the shop and shop has no heat and surrounded by 2' of snow.

Car was parked in the late 80's due to getting deployed overseas. Car has not been touched since I brought it back to my other place and stored it. Present day, I am thinking of resto-modding the Corvette with a modern engine that is more feasible for daily driving. The high compression engine with todays crap fuel isn't something I really want to deal with. At the age where I just want to get in and drive.

My question is, would there be much interest in the resale of this combo for a person looking to restore there Z28? What kind of value am I looking at. Or should I just run lower compression pistons and be happy with a de-tuned motor?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd think that 70Z OE engine and trans would be worth a lot to the right person. Maybe a bit low but I'm thinking $5 to 7000? And the 59 not being original would be a very good place for a modern day powerplant.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Stuff to consider:
    That '59 Corvette is worth a small fortune ($70K on a bad day). The LT1 engine is pretty much a drop-in. The '70 Camaro with the 11-1 motor had a 12-bolt rear, the all of the other 2nd gens had an 8.5" 10-bolt, both look VERY different than the original C1 rear end (which has no rear cover)
    So I'm assuming the car is mostly original-ish.
    A true resto-mod where the car gets cut up, might not be the best plan.

With a properly tuned EFI setup, the LT1 could be made to run just fine on pump gas.
    Than again after going through a motor and trans that's been sitting for 30 years, you could just buy a SP383 Connect and Cruise kit and have a goddamn nice car (ok so it's a little more involved, but still).

WWhunter likes this.
  4. WWhunter

WWhunter New Member

Thanks guys! You've pretty much verified what I was thinking. Since none of the drivetrain is original, the cost to get it all back to original would be quite high. Plus, I really just want a daily driver that is somewhat better riding than the buckboard type ride it now has.

Yes, the '59 Vette is, by itself, worth a bit. I have had it for 40 years!! My reason for doing a resto-mod, better drivability. If you have driven any of these old cars in factory form, you'll understand. Rough riding and handling is akin to a truck. Little exaggeration, but not far from the truth. It's a beast in straight line drag racing though.

For resto-mod type thoughts, I was thinking a Morrison frame and a bolt in 'crate' motor. My original plans were for another engine trans combo I have. I picked up a 1966 427/425 HP Corvette motor attached to a Tremec 5-speed. I had wanted to make a total beast out of the '59 but then common sense took over and I realized at my age, all I really want is a driver type car that I can enjoy. Besides, not an easy swap installing a BB into the Vette. Engine sits too high and I would need to modify the hood (cut hole) which is something I am not wanting to do.

5. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

I would check for a vin on the LT1. Somebody looking for their orig engine would pay an arm and a leg to get their numbers matching drivetrain back!

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’d sell the LT1 and look for a 327 Fuelie for the Vette. The C1’s wouldn’t handle the BB as well as my favorite Gen which are the 1963-67 Coupes. Keep moving or you’ll sieze up. At ‘68 I’m still pretty active and don’t hesitate crawling under my 70 Z28 I bought in ‘81 to swap a clutch or rebuild my Muncie or pull out the engine/tranny together for an engine build. Hope you find what your looking for.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  7. WWhunter

WWhunter New Member

Sir,

I wish I could still crawl under/over and work on cars/bikes/airplanes. Unfortunately I got a little 'busted up' with most of my back fused and nearly 3 feet of titanium rods in my body. Bit younger at 62, but definitely have mobility issues with limited flexibility. Still enjoy working on anything with a motor, but am severely limited now days.
    I do what I can, but pay for it later. It's only getting worse with age and I try to constantly keep moving and limbered up.

Even riding a vehicle for extended period of time takes a toll, hence my reason for wanting a better ride.

Thanks!!