Newbie here. Just bought a 1978 Z28. Looking for opinions.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 70 gsconvt, Oct 7, 2009.

1. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Hi, well I just bought a 1978 Z28. 60,221 original miles. Car is basically rust-free (just two little spots to take care of). Car is very low optioned with only rear window defogger. It's a 4-speed car, no console. So I'm not worried about destroying an original, hi-optioned car.

My plans are to put a new paint job on it in the factory carmine red. Tint the windows about 30%. Then put a Hotchkis total suspension system underneath with someone's upper/lower front tubular control arms and QA1 adj. coilovers. Tie the front and rear frames. This will lower the car down about 1.5". Then 17x8 wheels and I don't know what size tires yet. I haven't looked to see what will fit in the wheel wells. New front discs and convert rear to disc brakes.

Interior will get new, modern bucket seats, new carpet, door panels. I would like to install power windows and door locks and a Vintage a/c system.

Have the rearend freshened up. Then look into putting a 406 sbc (looking for torque) and 5 or 6 speed transmission.

I've been into muscle cars for a while now. I currently have a 1970 Buick GS convertible with a 455 and 4-speed automatic out of a 1987 Grand National in it. Car runs great and in the 11.80's at the track while still being totally streetable with a/c, ps, pb, buckets, center console, gauges. But Buick just didn't make a "sporty" car. And I wanted a manual trans also. So that's why I went with the Z28. It was the car to have when I was in high school along with the Trans Am.

Any thoughts or things I should be looking for?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. 78Z28rocker

78Z28rocker Member

Congrats on the purchase! Sounds like you have your mods all planned out. Keep us posted on the progress.

3. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

Congrats - sounds alot like where I'm going with mine. Post up some pics!

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Sweet. Welcome aboard. Should be a nice project.

5. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

I'm almost embarassed to post pics of the car. It's half in primer and half original paint. It was a guy's project who, like so many others, got the car half torn apart, then never finished.

I picked it up for a song, so I'm not complaining. It runs and drives. But it's got a long way to go. It's still on the trailer. I'll pull it out of the garage and snap a few this weekend.

6. duaneorr333

duaneorr333 Member

Congrats and welcome to the board. Sounds like quitea ride. Can't wait to see some pics of your work of art!!

7. VegasZ28

VegasZ28 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome and congrats. Lots of fun await you!

8. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Black ziptie master, second only to Freiburger
    Welcome to NastyZ and congrats on your purchase. Sounds like an very cool strippo-optioned car...and you might have something more valuable because of that.

Good luck with it! Can't wait to see pics. Don't be shy about posting pics of the GS either. :)

9. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! sounds like you got everything planed out

10. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome and my compliments on a very well thought out plan!

I highly encourage you to post up pics of your starting point in the projects section! You will be amazed at how much inspiration you will get to keep going with everyone stopping by your thread and making comments!

Hope to see you around and help you whenever we can!