Newer Blueprint Crate Motor Consuming Oil

Bandit723

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2016
Waupaca WI
Are you sure?

From post #1
Hey guys,
I'm working with the Blueprint Engines warranty department in regards to a oil consumption issue I'm having with a recently purchased 396 sbc crate motor I purchased directly from them. It's in my 77 Camaro currently.

PThomas

Apr 2, 2018
OP, I think you've already turned this into a worst case scenario in your head. All anybody on this board can do is suggest what the problem might be. You need to take this up with the manufacturer only. Clear your head before you call and have a real conversation with somebody with clout there. Just see what options you have, especially if you don't want to pull the motor and ship it. You might have to do that, but maybe they'll work with you in that regard.
Your attitude will determine a lot of these things. You're going to have to put a little trust in these people that they will get you squared away. The last thing you need to do is take a warranted motor to an unauthorized shop and void the warranty out. I wouldn't mention all the different diagnosis you've been given here or anywhere else, either. Just let them do their job.

Now, if they are assholes to you, disregard everything I said and file a suit.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
^^^ Sounds like some good advice to me. I know, I made a suggestion, but this had gone a bit far. Give BP an unbiased shot at resolving this.

snowdog

Nov 14, 2002
Lexington, KY
Hey guys,
I'm working with the Blueprint Engines warranty department in regards to a oil consumption issue I'm having with a recently purchased 396 sbc crate motor I purchased directly from them. It's in my 77 Camaro currently.

The motor has 2000-3000 miles on it so far, and it has been consuming oil at a rate of about 1 quart every few hundred miles. If you look closely, there is a faint haze of smoke coming from the tailpipes intermittently.

Blueprint is willing to fit the bill to have some diagnostics run (leak down, compression test, etc) to help determine what the cause is, and if necessary will fit the repair bills since it's within warranty. They seem to be pretty confident the chance I have a ring issue is slim, but I'm skeptical and want to make sure.

My question is: Does anyone here know a shop or person in the Greenville SC area who might be willing to do such tests?

Thanks for any help!
Hello, this is a true story, I bought a new ford pickup years ago and it started buring a half quart a fillup from the beginning. The dealer said it was normal, and I had them get a factory guy to inspect it and he said the same thing. After about a year it started burning even more. A friend worked in a engine shop and told me to bring it in and he will see what is going on. It drove him crazy until he said I am pulling it and talking off the heads. and pulling the pistons.

Get this, he pulls out all 8 pistons and there it was. EVERY SINGLE PISTON HAD ALL THE RING GAPS IN LINE UP AND DOWN. The oil just went right through. He said the engine was in great shape because I kept the oil level right but DAMN what the hell! It had to be intentional at the factory.

You never know, it can be something normal or really wierd like my truck. Somebody may need to take a look.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:

snowdog

Nov 14, 2002
Lexington, KY
OP, I think you've already turned this into a worst case scenario in your head. All anybody on this board can do is suggest what the problem might be. You need to take this up with the manufacturer only. Clear your head before you call and have a real conversation with somebody with clout there. Just see what options you have, especially if you don't want to pull the motor and ship it. You might have to do that, but maybe they'll work with you in that regard.
Your attitude will determine a lot of these things. You're going to have to put a little trust in these people that they will get you squared away. The last thing you need to do is take a warranted motor to an unauthorized shop and void the warranty out. I wouldn't mention all the different diagnosis you've been given here or anywhere else, either. Just let them do their job.

Now, if they are assholes to you, disregard everything I said and file a suit.
I did that with my simmilar issue and it got me NOTHING.....Ford.....

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Hello, this is a true story, I bought a new ford pickup years ago and it started buring a half quart a fillup from the beginning. The dealer said it was normal, and I had them get a factory guy to inspect it and he said the same thing. After about a year it started burning even more. A friend worked in a engine shop and told me to bring it in and he will see what is going on. It drove him crazy until he said I am pulling it and talking off the heads. and pulling the pistons.

Get this, he pulls out all 8 pistons and there it was. EVERY SINGLE PISTON HAD ALL THE RING GAPS IN LINE UP AND DOWN. The oil just went right through. He said the engine was in great shape because I kept the oil level right but DAMN what the hell! It had to be intentional at the factory.

You never know, it can be something normal or really wierd like my truck. Somebody may need to take a look.

Good luck with it!
Was it an early LS engine, those things burned oil like a furnace oil heater.

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX

Good luck with it!
I guess those rings did not rotate.

Latest posts