Next week I am out of the military.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, May 27, 2011.

1. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

Congrats and thanks for your service, good luck in the future!

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

GF...no, stay in.

Get your education in the service...move up in rank...get a retirement...

3. Buckneccid

Buckneccid Veteran Member

20 years goes by REAL fast now that the first tour is done. Talk to some older vets who are out, and I think you'll find that 8 out of 10 will tell you they wish they had stayed and retired. Like so many have siad, check into a Guard or Reserve unit to protect your standing just in case you want to return to active duty and do a retirement.

And for sure, before you retire, get a copy of your medical records. Go on sick call, take your file, and make a copy of every page in there. Someday many years in the future it may just be worth it's weight in gold to you.

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The new gi bill will give me 1911 a month on top full tuition, my rent is 300. I'm fine+ the money I've saved up. thinking about a lot of career fields. Not sure, any ideas?

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How are you getting free tuition ??
    Few state's offer veterans a full ride for free. IL is one, but is Alaska one too??

IIRC doesn't the GI Bill only pay 36 months , and you have to maintain a C average.

6. FreedomPenguin

notta, anchorage is a cake walk with college. its full tuition, etc, they give you full bah e5 tuition, AND they give you either, 36months FULL or TIL your degree. and as long as your passing, D you are considerd full time passing academic student. i wont be geting D's lol a few of my friends are currently doing it. have been for a year and there loving it. the new GI bill is pretty sweet honestly.

7. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

We can recommend a career field to you all we want. The fact is you have to follow your heart.
    But, if you want in the repair business look at UTI or a school like that.
    Good luck

8. FreedomPenguin

not really wanting to be much of repair, honestly, i like geology or buisness management, but geology requires tons of schooling and well i dont see buisness management going well in the economy either.

9. AFONE

AFONE New Member

Congratulations and thank you for your service. I retired from 28 years of service almost a year ago.
    My only recommendation is to make sure that you make a copy of your medical file. Also be sure to file a VA medical benefits claim package ASAP regardless of whether or not you have any known ailments. (VFW and other vet organizations can help you with the paperwork).

If the VA awards you 10% disability, it will give you priority in hiring for government jobs. Additionally, you never know what kind of service related issues are lurking and may pop up later in life.

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This sounds like filing a disability claim without having an actual disability....yet

Or.....did I read that incorrectly ??