Nissan 300 zx seats

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Rickyb1968, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Rickyb1968

Rickyb1968 Veteran Member

I thought I would start a thread on these seats to maybe help some people in the future. When I got my manual 300 zx seats in I took the cloth off of them. I was careless with my first seat and tore the cloth and foam up taking it all apart. Foam covers are like 100.00 a piece so be careful taking the cloth off. From all the looking I have done on these seats it looks like most of the cloth ones were manual and the leather usually were electric on the drivers side. I see no way to make an electric a manual. The two seats I got had been out in the elements for a while. Once I stripped the cloth and foam off them down to metal I am now soaking each seat base in vinegar in a ice chest. This is the second day of the drives side and later I will soak the passenger side. I think after the vinegar soak I will shoot them with clear enamel. I see no reason to paint any of this metal because it will be out of sight to anybody. I also removed the slides that bolt to the body because they were in good condition and all I will add grease to them.

It seems like most the upholstery shops I have contacted want to sell you their fabric of choice to work with. Neither of the two I have spoken with have been very excited for me to bring in the foams and seats covers so they can reassemble. The options I have so far are marine grade vinyl, Leather and synthetic leather. I also will have the rear seats done in the fabric I'm having done on the front seats. What do you guys recommend. Leather, Marine Vinyl or Synthetic leather.

Also what do you guys recommend on the seat frames? primer them and paint or shoot them with clear enamel and be done with them. Thanks for the feedback. Rick

2. largestar

largestar Member

I would paint them. It’s cheap and easy. Krylon black. Synthetic leather if it’s less than leather. If not, go leather. Marine grade vinyl is tough but hot and cold.

3. Rickyb1968

Ok got the frame of the drivers side primed and painted. Going to take the passenger side by a few upholstery shops for some prices. May do Vinyle on the sides and leather in the middle. They cleaned up nice and all the controls work.

Attached Files:

4. Rickyb1968

Does anybody have a clue where I can find these plastic seat bushings. They keep your seats tight and from rattling but after 25 years they get brittle and break. May try and see if I can find something more durable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I had a hard time finding a couple of replacements myself, I mean I spent a lot of time trying to find part numbers and everything. It's not sold new anywhere.

I ended up finding someone on eBay that was parting out these seats and sold me a couple of them along with another piece of seat trim....but that's been over a year ago

You might can try a 300zx forum..those guys might have something...someone with a 3d printer could make that too

branbell likes this.
  6. Rickyb1968

Thanks for responding 1971CamaroGuy:

I would really like to find a set of these bushings before I spend 1300.00 in having the seats refinished.

branbell likes this.
  7. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

8. Rickyb1968

Yep just done that. I will also try a piece of 3/4 pex water pipe. The inside diameter is perfect so I will see how it works with the seats. Thanks Rick

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The pex idea is brilliant. Probably more durable than the oem.

10. Rickyb1968

300 zx solid.jpg 300 zx.jpg Found a guy in my area that will refinish the seats. I'm going with a synthetic leather on the sides and back and what you sit on will be leather. Looking to copy this photo and wanted to see what you guys thought about the z logo. Should I get it or maybe get Z28 or not at all. Also I will have white paint interior with everything else black. I don't know If I will go solid black with light gray emblem. Or black with light gray leather with black emblem

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018