Nitrous kit for my LS3

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Gasoholic, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

How does it work? Meaning, do you need a Nitrous tune and a none and have to swap them around based on what you are doing (Street vs Strip)? Or can be ran without a tune? I feel the money is better spent on a cam....a Nitrous set-up seems only valuable for the drag strip.

Gasoholic likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't know about your area, but nitrous is getting scarce and expensive around here. Also check state laws, it's illegal to have the hose connected on the street in GA. I ran it for several years and once you get to and over the 200hp mark, you have to pay real close attention to the tune. Internet is full of good articles on this subject and Nitrous Outlet is a respected player in the game.

Gasoholic likes this.
  4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Head and cam is twice the money for about 40 HP gain.
    Nitrous is cheap HP. But yeah not good for your motor.
    I assume I would need to make some adjustments on tuning. Says in instructions something about it is set up for WOT activation of the solenoids.

IDK, just some thoughts. I swore off watching TV or news of any kind. Instead been spending time reading about car stuff. Surprising how much of a difference it makes with my daily attitude :)

[email protected] likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A cam swap and worked over stock heads can give you around ~100hp gain. I know Nitrous can be a fun burst of 200+ extra Hp, but its short lived. Like I said, on the strip that's all you need, but the tune could be the difference between fun and death. However, if you drive the car on the street that power isn't there unless you want to WOT. I rather have the power on demand. What is your intent with the car?

6. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Capable of up to 400HP... that's a big kit.

Is the Engine Nitrous ready for that much power... all forged internals and rings gap accordingly, what's the cam LSA (generally Nitrous likes a wider LSA), What's the DCR, TQ converter... these are just some of the things to consider if you're planning to go all out.

Once you think the engine would handle all the additional HP then start tuning.

I would start on smallest jetting and go from there, maybe use a progressive controller so you can program the activation in increments instead of one big rush which would more than likely spins the tire. Adjust timing as per kits recommendations. Watch the spark plugs for any sign of detonation so get a good reader. Also wiring the NOS solenoid in series with an RPM switch so that it only activates on the preset RPM is a very good idea.

I love Nitrous! :)

Yeah I agree, watching news just makes you depress.

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Oh no, totally not built for nitrous. I'm thinking maybe a 150 shot at most. They say stock motor can usually handle that much.

I've got other plans for future motor to go in this car. The motor thats going in it now is a take out. I want to keep the LS platform and so this motor is just to get it running and set up for the LS platform and fuel injection etc. I'm going to run it with the take out while I build another motor for it. Does that make sense? If I blow it up I wont be too bummed. Less of course I blow it up right away ahhhh.

My goals are to build a 700 hp LSX block.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just an FYI Nitrous is getting very expensive , some shops around here are wanting over $12 per lbs to fill a bottle . A somewhat cheaper way is to get a mother bottle and fill your own

Gasoholic likes this.
  9. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

I like your plan... yeah, 150 shot should be fine for a stock motor.

Gasoholic likes this.
  10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Beware of N20 on factory LS bottom ends. They have Hyperutecinc pistons which are brittle. It's really common to see ring lands break with N20 use.

The factory LS3 cam is pretty small - just a mild cam swap can buy you 100HP. The only difference between a 430HP LS3 and an LS376-525 is a cam with +20 deg of duration.

If you're hot to go beyond this, IMHO your money is much better spent on an E85/Flex Fuel setup. E85 is ethanol (hence the E) so it chills the combustion chamber naturally. It also comes out of the pump for less money than regular gas at ~105 octane. Where N20 only makes power when you press the button at WOT, E85 makes it everywhere, all of the time, without a deterrent to the engine.
    On my Subaru, it's worth ~50WHP vs 91 Octane on a MAHA Chassis Dyno

1980RS likes this.