Nitrous kit for my LS3

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Gasoholic, Jan 29, 2021.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I call them Hyperpathetic pistons , Kaboom with too much detonation and they are heavy also. As for getting NOS it's $12 to $14 here in MN. so a big 70lbs bottle would set you back a bit. For me, all the nitrous stuff I have inc. my new fogger system is now shelf candy.

2. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Yeah got to control det. Det is bad for any motor.
    LS motors are pretty tough though.

At LS fest they run a class called stock bottom end. The idea is you can do whatever you want to the top end but you have to run stock crank and pistons.
    You'd be surprised at how far they push the cast crank, PM cracked cap rods, and HP pistons.

One year we were there the guy who won was making 8 second passes. He almost didn't make eliminations. He had already qualified but he had one last try left so he tried to beat it. He over did it spectacularly when the car pulled a huge wheelie nearly going full air born. The car came down hard and broke a bunch of stuff. They worked all night and made it back for eliminations the next day. He ended up with the money. Motor still running ready to go again.

3. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

150 shot should be fine with the stock bottom end IMHO providing all the recommended precautionary measures by the nitrous manufacturer was followed and the engine doesn't already logged half a million miles LOL.

Bang for the $$$... its still hard to beat the laughing gas.

4. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

My father just installed nitrous on his 454 with stock internals. 150 shot. It makes probably 570 horse with the nitrous activated. Doesn't hurt a thing. The car is set from mild to wild with it. It is fun to see how fast speed comes up with it. With 2nd gear roll with 3.55s that thing GOES.
    Also, most "collector car" insurance will be void if you use nitrous, just a heads up.