no 2nd gens at auctions?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by red71cam, Jan 1, 2010.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't know about that...I've had my '69 Z since '84, our '69 SS350 since '89 and several of the others for almost 10 years. I know a lot of 1st gen guys who've had their cars as long or longer (even with a bucket load of money being thrown in their face to sell).

2. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What you seem to forget is that people have stuck Z/28 badges on all sorts of Camaros (including, and maybe even especially, 2nd gens) for almost as long as there have been Camaros. Just 'cause it said "Z/28" on the outside doens't mean it was born that way. True, many real Z's were raced and hot rodded and so lost their engines (I knew of a true Z/28 that was raced it's entire life but by '81 the 302 was long gone and a 427 had taken up residence). My '69 Z lost it's DZ motor but since it was under warranty it received a service 302 in its place ("CE" coded)...it's still a 302 but to the uninitiated it is not a "DZ" coded block and therefore not a "Z" (despite it's X code to the contrary).

And speaking of X-codes - Norwood built Camaros have a trim tag code which will identify them as a Z or BB car (amongst other things) - read more here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. 78LTCAM

78LTCAM Veteran Member Gold Member

well. The copper and white 1970 sec. gen is up next. Lets see what happens. Lot 75.3

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  4. 78LTCAM

78LTCAM Veteran Member Gold Member

Wow!! Went for 43,000!! Older resto too. Second highest total so far!

5. HR71RSZ28

HR71RSZ28 New Member

Hmmm, interesting.
    Today there is a 71Z on the block, lot# 406.1 (must have missed this one in my original search). This one will be interesting for me to watch, as I am trying to figure out if I want to switch from the original color...

6. 78Z28rocker

78Z28rocker Member

I think it depends on the car. A lot of these resto car's are really pieces of crap when you start looking close. May explain the frequent sales or could just be people selling that are not really car guys.My dad still has his '68 SS that he bought new and my brother has a '67 he got in '75, but they're both good solid cars.

7. Carbon Camaro

Carbon Camaro Veteran Member

73 firebird barrett jackson i saw go for 50k yesterday

8. HR71RSZ28

HR71RSZ28 New Member

Ok, 406.1 went for $55,000.00.
    More to come in the coming days..

9. pulpcowboy

pulpcowboy Guest

Jealousy. 2nd gen driver's always got the best looking chicks and the nerds hated it.