No dash lights

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Javicord25, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Javicord25

Javicord25 New Member

Hey I just recently gotten the car from the shop getting the front end redone and since then I have had no dash lights at all. I’ve takin the cluster out and fliped the bulbs to see if I had em in backwards but it’s been no luck. Currently when I start the car the left turn signal light stays on and the right one is off and if turn the signal to the right then the light flashes. The left stays on no matter what and when I pull the switch for headlights I don’t have any dash lights, no idiot lights as well or high beam indicator but if I leave the car off and put hazards they both flash properly. Would this be a bad ground somewhere?

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What year?
    The signal lights are wired differently depending up on the year.

First thing to check is the signal light ground for the left light.

Rotate the headlight switch... That controls the dash light brightness.
    It may have been moved to the dimmest position, which is off.

Dash lights have their own fuse in the the fuse block... It's the little one. (INST LMPS)
    Pull the headlight switch (to either position) and you should have power at both ends of the little fuse.
    If you only have power on one end, the fuse is blown.

If you have power on both ends... The dash light issue is with the headlight switch, wiring or cluster connection. (Grey wire)

3. Javicord25

Javicord25 New Member

It’s 1980, and I pulled the fuse it looks to be good still intact, I rotate the switch and I couldn’t tell a difference, is it possible the circuit on dash is bad ? Where is exactly is the ground left light

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The ground is shared with the headlight on an 80... Radiator support, black wire, between the headlight and radiator.

If the headlight works... It's probably not the front ground.
    Check the bulbs (Amber 2 filament bulb in front clear side marker light.)

It's rarely a headlight switch problem but that is another possibility.

Pull the headlight switch out and try the hazard lights again... The front and marker lights should alternate (front to side) with the headlights on and flash together with the headlights off.

The signal and hazard circuit paths change depending upon the headlight position. It's a confusing circuit.

If everything checks out in the front, it could be a rear bulb or connection that's bad.
    The front bulbs are easier to get to because you have to pull the whole tail light assembly for the rear ones.

A 12V probe circuit tester (cheap tool) is an invaluable tool for checking where you are getting power or not.
    It will be a big help for the dash light problem too.
    [​IMG]

5. Javicord25

Javicord25 New Member

Hey thank you for giving me those ideas to check btw. I checked those areas and everything seemed fine. I was able to actually get my turn signal blinkers to work again I just kept unplugging/plugging the instrument panel and for some reason it fixed itself so I believe it had to do with the circuit board itself. I still don’t have the dash lights working unfortunately, I have the high beam indicator back as well as the brake light and oil light. Sometimes if I pull the headlight switch to the on position the alarm system will turn on even with the car still running, I’m not sure if that could be related, it must a short issue?