No RPM under load

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Jerry M, May 29, 2020.

1. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

Hey, I have a 1981 camaro (no ECM or any sort of computer) with a SBC 305. Edelbrock 650cfm automatic choke and Edelbrock intake manifold. I’m having a problem where the engine runs and revs great in park and neutral, but once in reverse it won’t raise RPM almost at all, I can press the pedal and it will rise and gurgle until I let off, then it will just die. Starts back up no problem after that though. I had a problem previously and adjusted the floats to just above 7/16 to restrict fuel just every so slightly sooner because it would flood after shutoff, could this be the problem? If there’s any other info that could help let me know, just trying to find out why it was working great last time I tried and then just started crapping out on me.

2. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

Hey all! I figured it out! The problem is I’m an idiot who forgot that parking breaks are a thing. At least I know I should probably get a new one as I backed it up about 100 feet with it on so I guess it’s not working great. After turning off the parking break it works great! Sorry if anyone was actually trying to figure it out, the problem was user error...

jeff swisher likes this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad you figured it out! :D

Factory parking brakes don't very well in reverse.
    Reverse rotation of the wheel is how the drum brakes adjust themselves.

If you still have drum brakes in the rear... They apparently work well when attempting to move forward so your brakes are properly adjusted and I would leave them alone.

4. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

Oh that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the heads up! I haven’t adjusted them yet so I’ll make sure to not do that!

5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

LOL.....I can't tell you how many times I've done that after hooking up a trailer whether its my travel trailer or utility. Glad you figured it out.