No spark

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Layne02, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Layne02

Layne02 Veteran Member

So, I am trying to start a fresh rebuild on my 80. Motor turns over but I am not getting spark.

Everything is brand new , HEI distributer , wires, coil, module, wiring harness, ignition switch, everything.

I put inline spark tester on it and not getting spark . So, put meter on pink ignition wire that goes to distributor, and get 12v with key in run position, but as soon as turn it to start position, I lose the 12v.

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Where do you have the distributor wire for power connected to? It needs to be on the IGN source to have power in both start and run. If the wiring is original and has not been modified, then likely your ignition switch isn't sending power to the distributor during start.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I found out it is possible to reverse the plug in connector to the ignition module inside the distributor. :oops:

4. Layne02

Layne02 Veteran Member

The harness is new AAW harness. The pink ignition wire is plugged into the BAT side of the HEI distributor and is getting 12v with key switched to run position.

The module is connected with red wire the B side black connected to ground and brown wire connected to C side

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would try another module 1st.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If you don't have 12v to the distributor while cranking, the engine can't start. Definitely check that out first before replacing the distributor or any of its parts.

7. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

doesn't that have something to do with the wires at the solenoid when you run your starter

8. Layne02

Layne02 Veteran Member

Ok so I did figure out that if I barely moved the key passed the run position , I would get a spark, but if I really turned it over Im not getting anything. Im not quite sure where to look to solve this.

I did test at the ignition switch and got the following results. Key switched to run, pink wire and brown wire had voltage, the purple wire did not, switched to start, purple wire gets 12v, and pink wire and brown wire lose it.

So I guess what I need to figure out is the route the voltage takes , cause somehow I am losing it at start position.

9. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

isnt there supposed to be a wire at your solenoid that when you run your starter it sends power to the coil until you disengage the starter?
    How much stuff has changed on your car BTW?

10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

I think he can use a jumper wire to the bat side of his distributor from the plus side of his battery directly to see if it starts while cranking. If it does it could be a solenoid/connection issue or maybe from his more recent post he has a switch issue. Is that one on the bottom of the steering column? Maybe it's just out of adjustment.