No Start- Help

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Looks like I'm going to need some ideas for this one..

I had my car running just fine, then parked it for a few days during the Halloween snow-fest we had here in NY. Went to start it up Saturday morning when it was about 30* out, wouldn't really fire and eventually just flooded the motor cranking the hell out of it.

It was strange because I had just gotten the electric choke working again, which worked wonders on cold mornings but I was still getting it adjusted to stay open on hot starts. I replaced the plugs & oil about 3 weeks ago.

Since the plugs were wet with fuel, I cleaned them up and burned all the gas out of the cylinders. Attempted to start it again with no luck.. The motor will start to fire, but won't actually run, just fires through the carb when I give it more gas. Something just isn't right and I'm very open to ideas of what it might be.

I know I really should change the plugs again, but that's obviously not the root cause of the problem and they too will most likely be instantly fouled.

To me, this seems like an ignition or timing? related problem. Compression tested excellent and it definitely is getting fuel.. Distributor is clamped tight. I'm running all MSD components- billet distributor, 6al box, blaster SS coil, new taylor wires and autolite 3/4" racing plugs gapped to .045".

I still haven't actually tested for spark, I plan on getting my tester from work and doing that tomorrow. it's possible that my coil or box went bad but I don't know.. Or maybe I'm completely overlooking something.

I have plans to take the car to island dragway with some buds last day of the season nov. 20th and I REALLY wanna have it ready!! Any suggestions of tests to do/ things to check to narrow it down will be appreciated.. Thanks dudes

-Andrew

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
good thought, but yeah I have them routed so you really can't mess it up with the different length wires. I'll double check tomorrow because I've done stupider things as well.. still scratching my head for now.

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Do you know who would be able to properly test them?

I can at least measure resistance in the coil and the pickup for starters. Not sure about the 6al box though.

Thanks for the ideas I'm making a list of everything to check for tomorrow so i can pinpoint the problem asap

JasonZE

Veteran Member
Sep 11, 2009
NewZealand
when trying to start it are you holding the choke off? usually when flooded on any auto choke setup i hold the flap wide open manualy or it will just keep flooding.

Latest posts