No Start, No headlights and radio not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by xlargest, Jun 29, 2020.

1. xlargest

xlargest Veteran Member

Basically nothing works. Try to start the car nothing, turn on the headlights, hazards, radio...nothing. All my fuses are good (visually). So I took off the "s" post purple wire on the starter solenoid and went to start (ignition switch) and I got 7 to 9 volts on the wire, wasnt consistent. My battery checks out at 12.6. So it appears that I may have two fusible links per this diagram. If a fusible link shorted (went bad) would my voltage be low or none at all?

The red wire goes to the horn relay and the alternator, the black wire (yellow shrink wrap) goes to the firewall connector box same as the purple wire ("s" post). So I assuming when I goto start the ignition switch and neutral switch talk to one another making sure everything is cool then at that time voltage is sent to the "s" post of the starter solenoid to start. Is that correct? Way do I not have headlights, radio or hazards? My headlights are "hot" all the time and I figured hazards were too as long as the battery is charged.
    camarowiringdiagram.jpg 20200629_165120.jpg

2. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

Try your fusible link. Same thing happened on my 79 however I had no voltage my link fully burnt.

3. xlargest

xlargest Veteran Member

I have two (I believe) coming off the "b" post of the starter solenoid. Per diagram one comes off the horn relay as well

4. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

Mine was the one off of the starter. Soldered in a replacement and no issues since.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What year Camaro?

You've got a bad connection/cable or a fusible link problem.
    The number and location of the fusible links depends on the year.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

You should have The same reading as the Battery. 7-9 is not good. Have to start at the battery and work you way back on all wires. The connections at the starter look a little suspect to me. Sometimes the simplest thing is the problem like the battery terminal not being clean. Have you tried to stick a big flat blade screw driver between the posts on the starter? Even the battery may show 12.6 but when you try to start it drops dead B/C the battery is no good. Not enough amps.

7. Quazit

Quazit Veteran Member

Resurrecting this old thread for questions.

With ign on, I have power but no start. My first thought was maybe fusible Link hence the question, however, I have also read here that there might be an issue with the column and neutral safety switch or possibly a no start due to seatbelt safety feature.

Can anyone help me trouble shoot this with maybe a list of things I need to be looking for when I get home today to look at it? Fresh Battery, power to driving lights, and reverse lights and dash. Oil light comes on when I turn to Acc, radio comes on. When try to start, lights all go out (As they should), but nothing from the start circuit.

77 Camaro, where are the fusible links located, if anyone has photos even better?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  8. 1974Z28

1974Z28 Veteran Member

In 1974 they added a ignition seat/belt interlock, that prevented the car from starting when it sensed a driver in the seat but the seatbelt was not fastened. In the day almost everyone bypassed this feature, some did it the right way others just started hacking wires, in the past I have found these wires spliced together with masking tape. There was a mechanics override switch mounted
    00on the left fenderwell that could be pushed for a onetime start. It is the silver box with the orange base pictured here. The system was wired under the seat, and if memory serves me a purple wires was the main wire that need rerouted to bypass. Hopes this help not sure if it even applys to the 77 model year.
    DSC00033.JPG

9. Quazit

Quazit Veteran Member

Good info to check! Thanks!

10. Quazit

Quazit Veteran Member

Wanted to stop by tonight and say thank you very much for this epiphany about the seat belts.

After changing fuel lines tonight, and all radiator hoses, filling the rad and tank with some fuel, I plugged the seatbelt in and viola it turned over.

Now, I noticed it doesn't like to do it in park, but will in Neutral. So another issue to resolve.