No Start, No headlights and radio not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by xlargest, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The “start in neutral but not park” is most likely the ignition switch adjustment or back drive linkage.
    That linkage gets worn and eventually won’t start in park.

Try rotating the collar around the steering column (in front of the gauges) counterclockwise when you turn the key.

TTR230 likes this.
  2. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Just an aside question, should the car be able to start in neutral? My '79 doesn't, but other chevs of the era I had did, if I recall. It's not a big deal, but on the odd time I try to ask too much of the car when it's cold it would be nice not to have to bring it to a complete stop to restart it after I leave the driveway.

Quazit likes this.
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

With auto trans, car should start in either park or neutral. If it doesn't, do what Twisted Metal said. Either your backdrive linkage is out of adjustment, or the neutral start switch needs adjustment. Do the neutral start switch first as it is simpler and doesn't mess up anything else.

Quazit and TTR230 like this.
  4. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Thank you, guys!

5. Quazit

Quazit Veteran Member

Cool beans. Will put that on my list. I'm just happy to have life form the starter now. I did not want to troubleshoot from firewall forward to figure that out.

Oddly enough, when I went home yesterday, I plugged in the seatbelt and tried it and she turned over. Not that I don't believe you of course about the generations that had that interlock, but that's what happened.

6. Quazit

Quazit Veteran Member

I am still trying to chase down a no headlight issue on the 77 . I thought maybe it was a fuse, or a ground somewhere but I'm still having no luck.. I found a fiuible link by the drivers corner of the engine bay in the harness, which looks fine. Wheer is another one (or more?) Anyone else have chased this down before, I could really use the help here.

I removed the Gauge cluster cover today, thought maybe it was the switch, but I dont know how to check that. As I said when I started electrics isn't my thing.

I have intermittent turn signals. Sometimes they work, sometimes not, same with the amber front running lights. They were working, now Ive got nothing.