Noisy/ squeeking speedometer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Aerodillybar, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Aerodillybar

Aerodillybar New Member

Hello! New user here, and long time lurker for this website.I've come across an issue where there is a strange scratching noise coming from my speedometer. I've pulled the gauge cluster out and tried to lube the speedometer cable with some white lithium lube, but shortly after I took it for a drive, the noise came back. However when I press down on top of the dash with my free hand, the noise goes away until I let go and starts happening again. I drive a 1980 camaro, everything is close to original as possible if it helps. Any ideas are welcome!

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to NastyZ.

Does sound like a cable, did you pull the cable itself out? It could be fraying inside the cable shield. I certainly don't think white lithium will hurt anything, but there's a special grease for these cables. If it turns out to be a speedometer, Daniel with Gauge Marks is a site sponsor and does excellent work. Good luck.

3. Aerodillybar

Aerodillybar New Member

Thank you for a response. I haven't pulled the speedometer cable out to check if it is fraying. I forgot to mention this in the original post that this noise occurs from time to time, and is not something I hear constantly. I will definitely look into Daniel with gauge marks though.

4. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

When this happened to me I pull my gauge cluster and removed the cable from the bottom then sprayed brake cleaner down the cable housing till it ran out clean. Cleaned the cable then sprayed white lithium grease in both ends of the housing and that fixed mine.