Non Camaro blinker problem

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Allison Winn, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Veteran Member

At least it is still a Chevy....

Sorry for the non Camaro post. 2005 Tahoe has a fast blinker on left turns only. Been doing this for a year - but no bulbs burned out. Starting today it is blinking fast on right side too. Replaced every bulb....still doing it.. Emergency flasher works correctly.. Got any ideas? I considered the flasher but it originally was just 1 side. Google search isn't much help either.

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you sure you are using the right bulbs? The flash speed is controlled by the body control module. If the resistance is off it will flash faster to alert the driver the bulb is out. I have found the cheap bulbs at the "parts stores" will cause issues with the new stuff. Make sure the replacement bulbs are a quality brand and not the low end. Keep in mind a 2057 bulb will fit where a 3057 is called for but may not match the resistance the BCM is looking for. When in doubt look it up.

For what it's worth, I had a Tahoe kick my ass for two days on a similar issue and I had to send it to the dealer because I just couldn't believe the BCM was faulty. I'm not saying that's your issue but the system isn't near as simple as an older vehicle.

berg2695 likes this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

One other thing to look for is where the flashers get their power from. Could be totally different on a Tahoe, but I know on the Alero/grand am and others, the blinker power comes from the hazard switch. Dinking around with the hazard switch seems to settle the flashers down.

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There is no flasher, every thing is controlled by the BCM.

5. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Veteran Member

Found it - was a bad socket. They are all overheated and turned a little brown to some degree, 1 was just a little worse. Thanks all.