Northern guys/rusted fuel lines /replacement?DD

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Mar 19, 2019.

1. goofnrox

goofnrox Veteran Member

Why? Get the right hose and it's fine. Rubber hoses for hydraulics run in the 1000's of PSI.

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

That’s hydraulic hose and stuff as a rail, crimped on, the hose clamp would probably brake before it gets tighten enough, and I don’t know of too many auto parts stores that carry it.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You can use high pressure transmission rubber line, works great. Di it all the time at the dealer.

Here is what I do to keep my 02 Suburban lines from rusting out, I don't drive it in the winter.

4. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

The Denali hasn't seen winter driving in 10 years,does sit outside and only got minimal exercise when roads were dry,used it only for towing my trailer,12 years I only put on 60K. Since I got a new tow vehicle it saw only 3k last year.If it sat inside it may be better,We used to have a term-lot-rot from things sitting.
    As far as hose,back in the late 80's the senders and motor connections were "fuel injection hose" and the fuel injection clamps-not the crappy worm drives. I pulled all the lines and there was nothing left of them so piecing in something was not an option.Later Steve!!

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just because you "can" doesen't mean you should. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. My guess is GM didn't know you were doing it.

Mike N likes this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I seriously doubt that the rubber hose Vato Zone sells meets that spec.

If GM intended rubber lines for their cars & trucks, they probably would have used it from day one.

7. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The early TBI systems ran 9 - 13 psi. Rubber hose and specialty clamps were fine for that.

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Yes they sure did know we were doing it, the field engineer was the one who suggested it. There were a lot of questionable thing GM did that were gray areas.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wasn't with GM when the higher pressure stuff came out but Ford would have blackballed me from warranty work if they caught us using rubber line as a "repair". Without seeing an offical GM document giving the go ahead I have a hard time believing it was sanctioned by corporate.

1980RS likes this.
  10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Ya some things get overlooked when a customer is screaming at them night and day to fix the car or truck, out zone rep was a really cool guy in those days. I have used high pressure trans line for years be it fuel or transmissions. Even our local track thanked me for using the stuff and they have never said anything in over 25 years. You should have seen some of the things I had to do for water leaks that made me cringe.