Norwood Trim Tag Question

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
I've never seen that. I'd guess they couldn't find the "R" stamp, so they grabbed a "W" instead to keep things running. If you have ever worked in your garage, you know that suddenly you can't find a specific tool. You can bet that the same thing happened on the assembly lines, and a missing "R" stamp wasn't a good enough excuse to shut down a multi-million dollar system.

mgoad1971

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 29, 2011
Houston, Texas
Then It probably wouldn't be one of a kind. There are probably a few cars out there with this as the stamp either broke, wore or something else. If you have a one-of-a-kind,....

Pics please!!

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
When it comes to these cars , I don't trust anything, especially 1970, Are you first of all sure its the original installed GM tag , and not a repro replacement?

mgoad1971

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 29, 2011
Houston, Texas
Z28PILOT said:
When it comes to these cars , I don't trust anything, especially 1970, Are you first of all sure its the original installed GM tag , and not a repro replacement?
Agree, Check the other stamped numbers

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Don't expect any of the other stamped numbers to have the same error. The cowl tag came from the body shop. The drivetrain parts with stamped numbers came from the engine and tranny assembly plants for those numbers, and from the final assembly line for the VIN numbers.
In addition to that, the cowl tag is stamped from the rear with normal readable stamps while the engine and tranny are stamped from the front with reverse readable numbers.
It is physically impossible to use the same stamps for both jobs.

LT1M22

Veteran Member
Nov 18, 2001
MD
It has happened in the past at Norwood, here is a Pic of a real 69 tt with NBR

4342bfn_20.jpeg

They Have other cars in the dbase like that.

If the tag is real than other 05B cars will have the NOW instead of the NOR.
Post a Picture of that tag.

rcb1970Z28

Oct 2, 2010
Highspire, PA
Z28PILOT said:

I've had the car for almost 30 years, and quite sure it's the original tag. I'm the 3rd owner & have the protectoplate also. I'll post a pic of the tag tomorrow.

70COPO

Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 28, 2003
Chillicothe Ohio
The Machine at Fisher Body used to make the tags was called a "Graphotype" and had a card reader that used paper punch cards that were generated in advance by the central IBM 360 computer located over on the Chevrolet Side of the plant .

This type of error would likely be a simple punch card feed mis-position meaning that the mechanical card reader read the card wrong and then the Graphotype typed the plate as the card reader indicated.