NOS Parts Question

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Brad W, Mar 14, 2021.

1. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is an Air Cleaner snorkel indent on Passenger side fender for 1970-73 Camaro's. I never heard of it before and have had Camaro's for years.
    John.

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

John, search "oblong indentation" on this site. Lots of info. Just briefly, it's the indentation on the RH fender above the wheel well for the air cleaner snorkel accordion duct. Here's two pics of a 75.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The indent appeared on cars about mid-way thru the 1974 run and was punched thru for the snorkle in 1975 as shown in the photos. Then, in 1977 I think, they stopped using it and had a snorkel that ran above the radiator. It was used in order to provided a more stable inlet air temperature for emissions. They were jetting the cars so lean that if the underhood temperature swung too much they could easily go into detonation. All GM replacement fender from this time forward got the unpunched indent. So if your 70-early 74 has this indent, its got a replacement fender on it or the body guy at least filled it in, which very few did.

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Veteran Member

My apologies for high jacking this thread, but this question is related.

Situation: 1970 SS 350. All original, have owned since Dec 1970. Used as a daily driver for about ten years in DC area, so it has minor rust at bottom of front fenders and one rear quarter. Want to repaint in original blue. Have two NOS front fenders (never installed) that I purchased around 1987, when they were still available from GM. The LF does NOT have the tab for the washer bottle, so I assume that neither is absolutely correct for 1970.

Question: (1) repair the OEM front fenders (and keep the replacements as spares) or (2) do my best to modify the replacements (and keep the originals as spares). Would not sell the spares in any case, so the potential profit from such a transaction is not a consideration. Do occasionally take one of my cars to a show, but am not interested in trophies (did win one by accident one time and dropped it in a dumpster on my way out of the parking lot). Just want to keep the car as original as possible. Advice solicited.

5. 70lt1z28

I think question 1 is a bit speculative at this point until you fully determine just how bad the rust really is. Most of these rust from the inside out so by the time you see it on the outside you may be surprised at just how bad it is inside.

If you are lucky and the inside bracing and double panel is in good shape on the originals, I would opt for repairing the original fenders. There are actually other minor interesting details for SOME 70 only fenders. Something that a knowing person can spot easily that just make them that much more unique to preserve with the car.

Knucklehead likes this.
  6. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

BillyDean and others members.
    Thanks for enlightening me about that indent. You learn something new everyday
    John.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  7. Knucklehead

Thanks. I guess the condition of the original fenders will provide the answer. Am not greatly worried about reducing the dollar value of the car (my heirs will have to figure out what to do with it), but since it's still 99% original, I'd like to keep it that way.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you planned to keep the originals, you might as well fix them. Some very early 70 fenders were not trimmed around the hood bumpers and that is a pretty neat originality feature. If not, I would take the new GM fender and just fill in the indent for the air cleaner and on the driver side add the sheet metal. Its been done, any metal worker/body man can do it.

Knucklehead likes this.
  9. Knucklehead

Badazz-
    Thanks. Good thinking.

10. 70lt1z28

Not necessarily "very early", at least not that I am aware of. Not sure about where the cut-off was and even very early cars could have either. Jack Seymore's 04B car:

Jack Seymour Underhood.jpg

It may be from a different stamping plant, but Hamilton stamping made all of the Norwood fenders AFAIK.

My 04B Norwood car does not have this added flange.