Not a 2nd Gen, but it's a Camaro

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by dirtmod08, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Dirt i know you love your fifth gen but... The reason older cars are so popular is that they have style, personality, and character. As much as I try to embrace modern muscle, they just seem so...vanilla. Your picture says a thousand words.

biendog and 1972_Z-28 like this.
  2. MidniteZ

MidniteZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did the manual swap on my '79 and still ended up selling it. It was fun at first but still didn't drive it enough. The fifth gen is a much funner car. A great looking, performing car that you can drive every day. :bowtie:

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Actually, the coupes without a sunroof has a butt on the roof since 2010. The sunroof has to have the flat roof. I didn't notice that until a couple weeks ago as I was digging thru cars for sale.

4. dirtmod08

I would have been the last guy to argue with you about that a few months (weeks) ago. It took me 8 years to warm up to this car. I don't think I'm going to regret anything.

Zstar likes this.
  5. biendog

biendog Veteran Member

I agree with you,old school muscle is a different breed than the new stuff.Apples and oranges.After damn near 50 years though they are still cool and I venture to say always will be.Style,personality,character.(well said Zstar)

Zstar likes this.
  6. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

I agree, but my 5tj gen is pretty nice I don't have the money to buy a 68 and make it drive like a modern muscle but this one here I can throw my family in and drive 4hours up the highway with no worries!!

Zstar likes this.
  7. John w/2 Z's

John w/2 Z's Veteran Member

8. dirtmod08

Another thing.....I got a 2011 because, well, the cost of them have come down quite a bit. I actually prefer the early 5th gen taillights, it's neat to have the groundbreaker model

9. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

sitting in a garage NOT being driven is WORTHLESS...no matter how much style, personality & character a car has....which is the doom of the VAST majority of old cars

10. dirtmod08

I drove mine as much as I could still. It was just not doing it for me anymore. I think the final straw, as with most of the older cars I've passed on, was the to-do list. I wanted wider wheels, I wanted to paint it, the weatherstripping needed replaced, the taillights needed replaced, wanted upgraded headlights, manual transmission. Doesn't sound like much, but I just listed $10k or more worth of stuff - and that's with me doing all the labor myself. It would have never been worth that much more.
    The guy I bought it from spent $6k on the car, then added close to $20k worth of stuff to it. Market value was about what I sold it for the day he finished it 4 years ago.
    I feel that I broke even on the car after having it 3 years, even though I just put $1k in the air conditioning, and put a $500 set of guages on it. I did some other couple hundred dollar projects here and there on it, but I think I came out pretty good.
    I know the SS will depreciate, but I'm not sure it will kill me. It's something I needed to get away from the nagging to-do list I had on my back, I was never comfortable that the 79 was finished to my liking - and never had (or made) the time to do so. I threatened myself to paint it the last 2 winter's.
    My first Camaro was an 82 that I bought in 1988, then I bought an 83 in 1992. I asked myself "when did I decide to get so far behind the times?", Lol.:screwup:
    I got my new weatherstripping, taillights, upgraded headlights, manual transmission, and paint job with the swipe of a pen and a small road trip. Now I'm gonna sit back and crack open a beer when I woulda been working on my car.;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018