Not safe to have 4 speed with T-tops?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by prosuperstar5, May 12, 2010.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Alston Racing and PTFB have good pieces. I have used Alston twice and no complaints. They are very similair to GW

2. andrew1977

andrew1977 Veteran Member

i have the same crack as kawman. and a busted windshield, and a slightly warped metal part of the dash right where the window broke. all because of body flex.

3. andrew1977

andrew1977 Veteran Member

my mistake:D

4. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Hi! Im curious in knowing how much torque your car has or had when the roof cracked. I have one too but its a driver not a racer.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have a 1979 Z-28 with "T" tops of which was an original Turbo 350 car .I changed over to a Super T-10 4 speed car .I have a set of Competition Engineering bolt in frame connectors ,A 500 HP plus 377 supercharged small Chevy .With an upgraded suspension .And the speedometer turn over 4 times .My roof has never cracked. A lot has to do is what you start with and how you treat your car,

Attached Files:

Francesco likes this.
  6. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

I know alot of the users here are subjective about topics. I agree with you about the initial state and how you maintain the vehicle. To twist and crack stuff requires incredible force unless your body is bad. Sometimes these guys scare me with the comments they make.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I learned to maintain vehicles while I was in the Marines Corps .And the mistakes my friends made in their cars .Most of which they let me drive as well as driving commercial trucks (CDL A) for over 30 years.

8. badazz81z28

Back from the dead post lol. After seeing some of the things people have done to T-top TransAms, I would be hard to convince any moderate street powered car is going to brake windshields or t-top glass with subframe connectors. The worse I have seen are cracks at the roof to quarter seam area. Of course if your car is old and rusty, the body is probably compromised so who knows lol.

9. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Fortunately i invested more on body structure than power for a very desirable ride friend.

10. badazz81z28

I have some seen some pretty impressive mods to stiffen the body. One early 70 Camaro, no T-top, but essentially a full cage integrated into the body. All hidden with the stock interior panels.