Notched Spoiler

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by badazz81z28, Feb 14, 2021.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

3FBEC70C-E3EC-47B0-96A0-C3EA82CD0234.jpeg I think the look is growing on me..is it just looks or does it improve the function of the spoiler any?

M1 Master Gunner likes this.
  2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

It loses downforce by lessening surface area.

3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Is there any evidence that these spoilers are anything more than looks anyway? Especially at road speeds? Real question, they just seem so rudimentary.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I thought these were for street cars so the rearview mirror didn't become a useless attachment on the windshield.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The tall rear spoiler does add downforce on the car. The original small rear spoiler was found to not help. The front spoiler does a great job of keeping the nose down at high speeds especially on the 70-73 body with the underside of the nose curved like it is.

6. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Mark donahue designed the tall spoiler for trams am racing to get better handling in the car. The little one didnt have enough downforce. They then sold it as and option for street cars. Like most spoilers, they require the type of speed to work that is well above legal speed limits.

7. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Looks cool

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It looks cool - but is counterproductive a "high" spoiler.

They absolutely make a difference, at an Auto-X where you rarely see over 60MPH - it's a shocking change in how the car behaves. Especially the front spoiler.
    Yes they are rudimentary - which speaks more to the lack of aerodynamic design of these cars than anything.

9. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

I've been an aero guy since I was a kid. Spent far too much time researching and testing aerodynamics on 2nd gen F bodies. I've built stuff for other cars and am working on a full flat bottom from splitter to rear diffuser for my Firebird for road course use.

The notched version of the taller rear spoiler shown above reduces the effectiveness of the spoiler in reducing lift/creating down force. It would however reduce drag so at say a drag strip you'd likely see a little increase in top speed. Aerodynamic force depends on the square of the velocity, doubling the velocity will quadruple the lift and drag. This is why aerodynamic changes are so much more noticeable as speed increases and changes aren't as apparent at slower speeds although occuring.

The tall version of the factory 2nd gen Camaro reduces the velocity of the air flowing over the deck lid area which increases the pressure. Even though the pressure difference may be small it's multiplied by every square inch of the area.

As Lowend mentioned even at highway speeds or lower spoilers and air dams can make a noticeable difference. This is apparent and Auto-Xers are using it more and more. See this thread for really tall rear spoiler https://nastyz28.com/threads/be-prepared-c-prepared-autocross-1981-camaro.131539/

I made a taller than stock rear spoiler for my car for road course use. It's not really tall like an Auto-X one but I'll also be using a regular wing.

As I mentioned, I'm probably waaay to into the aero thing and spend time testing this kinda stuff. If anyone's interested I can explain what can be determined by looking at the tufts on the trunk and spoiler as well as the differences between the Camaro vs Firebird end caps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Dave Nelson and Lowend like this.
  10. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Well, I am surprised, I had no idea that the spoiler on our cars was genuinely effective.