Now I can't even buy catalytic converters from Summit?

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
The cats have their own heat shields. Same as my old ones which I've been running for about 25 years. Never had any issues with them...

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have a heat shield above them attached to floor pan. As well as the shield thats on them But I have enough air space above them that that shield on the floor pan never really gets hot.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
Well, it's debatable whether I'm actually feeling some more power above 4000 or if it's just my imagination...

But, the car does run ~10 deg cooler now, which was unexpected.

From my last post in the "running hot" thread...

Ok, I put in the 180 and then drove the car out for some errands... figure at 95F outside, a good opportunity to put it through it's paces. Up hills, high loads, A/C on, low vehicle speed, high vehicle speed, etc...
The temp stayed between 190 and 200. That's pretty dang good IMO, staying with a 10 deg range... in terms of temperature control.

There must be some quirk in the system that causes the temperature to run nominally ~10 deg hotter than the thermostat... but whatever. The net performance is exactly what I want, so doesn't matter.
Pretty much exact same conditions yesterday and today, it stays between 180 and 190.

I guess I found the "quirk in the system"... excessive back pressure?

May have to put the 190 Tstat in now to get me back up to 190-200... lol