NPD dash install?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by sceld71, Jul 10, 2014.

1. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Is the in NPD dash ready to install when we received it? other than attaching the lower dash what else needs to be installed on the dash to install it?

2. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

3. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

I read the whole thing and I was watching it to see what happens. as the last post stated for us to call in with any questions. I called and I'm waiting for a Sean foster to call me back

4. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's all I put on mine(OER I inherited).Just the lower dash and the clips on it.Then just plugged it in.(After I had cut and sanded certain spots for fit first).

5. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

What mystery is....what to ask?? The holes on the driver side do not line up...we are waiting on an answer, the questions are already asked.

6. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cant believe they missed that.Mustve just held it up and said"good",instead of actually installing it.
    Ive heard of a few members here cutting a "keyway" hole,and mounting problem areas with the addition of a bolt in the hole.

7. Protour-Camaro

Im still trying to figure out what Im going to do. I really don't want to ream the holes...Im thinking maybe epoxy something to the bottom and attaching it to the cowl.

8. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Sean called me back, we talked, and I asked my question. 1st question was, is the "2 self tapping" screws by the gauge cluster the only place to secure that side of the dash. Answer was yes.
    The problem I am hearing our members say is those 2 screw areas are not lining up. I don't know if this will help, but the parts car that I posted last month. I titled it as "look at what followed me home, part 2." That dash on the driver side had a factory installed piece of sheet metal that extended out. This piece of metal was attached to cowl metal piece with 2 rivets. I wish I would have seen this thread before it went to the bone yard.

My 2nd question was more for me, and I had to ask if I had to add any support to backside of their dash pad. Because when I received their dash I noticed the difference was the lack of support. I compared the 2 and the OEM dash had a cap. Sean stated their dash's are install ready and nothing is needed to be added.

I hope this is helps somebody.

9. Protour-Camaro

Sean is incorrect. The holes do not line up and there is no factory metal pieced rivited to the cowl. The two holes in the cluster area on the factory dash have tub grommets (please see my thread). The NPD does not. I would hold off buying one until we see what the problem is. I must say in appearence and touch, tons better than the OER dash, just need to get through this issue!

10. Rick@NPD

[email protected] Veteran Member

Rob, I just sent you a lengthy PM regarding visors, and an update on the dashes. He's probably gone for the day today, but I would implore anyone having a problem to call Shawn tomorrow, and ask for the phone # of the shop north of our Charlotte location who specializes specifically in 2nd-gen f-body restoration, and who did all of our test-installing (1st-run and 2nd-run).

He is adamant that our dashes are exactly how NOS GM dashes were done (which was our benchmark and our goal), and beyond the test-installs he's done for us, he's already installed 10 of our pads (1st-run and 2nd-run) into customer's cars, and they all went in just like factory with zero issues or hurdles.

The hole alignment issue has come up very rarely, so I'm at a loss as how to address it, because all the customers we've cold-called trying to chase down that reported issue with the first run, just say "didn't have a problem", or "holes a little off, didn't slow me down much though". I'm paraphrasing of course.

We're not trying to be dismissive or uncaring, and Shawn intends to drive back up on Monday to go look at an install first-hand, and also to spec-out all of the original hardware used in that area so we can include it in our clip/hardware kit for folks who no longer have their original stuff.

I'm beginning to wish that somewhere out there, there's an original Norwood or Van Nuys assembly line worker who'd call me and say, "Man, every 10th car down the line we'd be wrestling with that dash-pad install, biggest heartburn station on the line!!". That would explain everything!!

Stick with us guys, and please don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call Shawn and get connected with our assisting shop. 800-368-6451