NPD dash install?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by sceld71, Jul 10, 2014.

1. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

7/15/14 Update

Initial install, and it makes me happy, happy, happy.
    [​IMG]
    2 clips holding it in on top and brackets on bottom
    Bottom of A pillar,
    [​IMG]

2. Rick@NPD

[email protected] Veteran Member

This is an update, and I'll try to keep it "to the point":

* My manager in NC, Shawn, spent Monday afternoon at the 2nd-gen F-body restoration shop that's been our testing facility for these pads all along.

* Browsing multiple original GM pads, he saw some that had the "tub grommets" that had been shown in multiple threads, but he also saw some original GM pads that did not have them. What's the story behind that? We have no way of knowing, but it should be moot anyhow...

* Some of the factory pads had screw-holes through the SIDE of the tub grommets, missing the slot entirely. So even the factory was dealing with fit deviation from car-to-car, and just plowing the screws into whatever would hold..

* Factory pads never had a stud on the drivers side. Your only fastening points are the two holes to the tabs above the instrument cluster.

* The restoration shop says that driving the factory-screws into the plastic sub-structure/frame of our NPD reproduction pad has proven to be just as secure, if not more-so, than the tub-grommets.

* The correct screw is a #8 HXWA (hex head, integral washer) 1/2" long, through a spring nut mounted to the tab on the dash. If you don't have your original hardware, or appropriate hardware, you need NPD kit # C-14655-4AK (AMK G-5125).

* With our first production-run, we had reports of the holes not lining up with the tabs decently-enough to access/install the screws. This problem was sporadic, not universal. However, if you purchased your dash prior to March 2014, and the holes are just too far off to deal with, please contact me at [email protected] . If you have any other questions relating to installation, please contact Shawn at [email protected], or call 1-800-368-6451 and ask for Shawn.

Lastly, our shop told us that one time they had a pad that, even after they fastened it down on the drivers side above the instruments, it still wanted to sit a little high on the drivers corner. They said there was a hole in the steel dash close to the area, and they simply installed a small screw from underneath to cinch it down, and that fixed it up perfect.

Just an isolated incident according to them, but in the spirit of being comprehensive, I toss it out there.

Again, anyone who'd just not able to get there from here with a pad, please contact Shawn.

Thanks!!

Rick
    NPD

3. Digger77coupe

Digger77coupe Veteran Member

Now this is customer service and why I only use NPD to buy all my resto stuff!!!! My holes dont line up but now that everything else in installed, I damn sure aint taking everything back out as everything seems to be secured down good enough. Im just glad this was brought to NPDs attention and they're getting it worked out. Thanks Rick

4. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

5. Rick@NPD

[email protected] Veteran Member

That kit contains more than just the hardware for above the instrument cluster, but it's the smallest kit we have from AMK that INCLUDES the screws and spring-nuts for above the instrument cluster. We're going to try and source the individual hardware from AMK, and include it with our clip kits, but until we get that accomplished this is the smallest kit I've got that contains the right stuff.

6. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

I received a lot of PM's about securing the dash on the drivers side. I was so excited to have a dash in my car for the first time in 10 years, I forgot to photograph the underside.
    A big thank you goes out to Mike for taking time out of his pre-vacation day to allow me back in to photograph this area.
    Photos to follow after lunch

7. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Houston we have a problem

Problem photo #1
    [​IMG]
    If you can draw a straight line from the other tab across the pad you can some what see where the hole needs to be.

8. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Con't

Close up of Problem #1
    [​IMG]

9. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Con't

Problem #3, driver side screw hole by the gauge cluster
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely you can see how close the metal cowl tab is to the hole.

The long tab in the back is the metal folded down for the HVAC "V" to secure to.

10. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Im waiting on Kurt Hanson to return my calls. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.