OD transmission

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Strange81Z, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Which OD transmission will work with Botha SBC and a BBC? I want to go with a SBC at first but later upgrade a BBC.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Any OD transmission will fit.

But it needs to have internals which will hold up to the torque of a big block and it’s intended use.

Big tires on a sticky track (racing) will require more upgrades to the internals than something driven mildly on the street.

3. Strange81Z

Oh its just going to be a street car. Maybe a test a tune night or two. Nothing major.

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

As stated by Twisted, only difference will be the amount of money to make it work.
    200-4r cores are harder to find than 700-r4's. Both types were never put behind a BBC for a reason and will take knowledge and $ to make it work especially regarding the internal parts with the 700 on the cheaper side.
    But...a 200-4r might save you the costs of changing the length of the drive shaft.
    A 4l80e will probably be strong enough in stock condition, but will require an investment in the driveshaft and a stand alone computer. If you need or decide to upgrade the TQ, these ain't cheap either.
    So without knowing the needs of the total combination I would say, from cheapest to most expensive: 700 > 200 > 4l80. With the latest having most potential and least maintenance in the long run.

Strange81Z likes this.
  5. Strange81Z

Awesome. What would I expect to pay for a 700 or 200 to beef up and the parts to retrofit?

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

a 200 will take every pc of hardened, upgraded internals out there, 300m internal shafts etc AND somebody who knows how to make one WORK with a TORQUE motor AND traction. There are several folks capable .... just depends on your usage. Traction breaks stuff!!! For a 200 behind a mild BBC you can expect to have one built around $4,000 + a convertor

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^ +1
    Exactly.
    It's not cheap to build an old OD transmission to handle the grunt of a big block, if you're not just spinning tires.
    Spend the money and build it right if you plan any sticky track & big tire launches.

It only takes one run to break stuff and turn your "Test-n-Tune" event into an expensive "Test-n-Tow" day. :(

8. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

So far I haven't broke my 200, I'm at 540 tq. in a 4200 lb. Monte. It only has a billet shaft forward drum.

Peck likes this.