Odometer to Nodometer

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 74cam_mojo, Apr 11, 2010.

1. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

I'm dropping a new motor into my 74 LT and attempted to reset the odometer. Well, the plastic strip broke like glass! I'm not quite sure how to remove the Odometer,(I'll attempt to re-fab the plastic strip).

I tried to remove the gauge face by removing the 2 set screws either side of the pointer but it doesn't get the gauge face over what the pointer mounts to and I don't want to force it.

Removing the two diagonal screws that secures the unit just behind the ODO doesn't do it either. And it look as though the ODO on either end is pressed fit into the metal speedo housing!

I'm ready to fast ball it into the garage wall! :mad:

Am I missing something? help will be much appreciated.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Actually, the odometer worked as designed. They were designed to be tamper proof so you can't reset them. If you do, they are designed to break. That doesn't fix your problem now, but at least you know why it worked like this.
    You might want to look into getting a different speedometer and not concern yourself with what mileage it shows.
    the safest way to reset a speedometer is to turn it slowly with a variable speed drill until you get the mileage reading you want. Don't spin it too fast, or it might break.

3. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

IIRC the odometer is held in by some small snap rings on the shaft the it rotates on.... I have found it easier to remove the speedometer from the cluster to do it:happy:

4. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

Thanks Gents

It's been out of the dash........and on my kitchen table so I'm able to see the whole works. As commented these were built to be bullet-proof.

I'll get an A/M gauge, it will look better anyway.

appreciate your comments

5. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

PS / Jim

that's an excellent quote!!!!

It's a shame that most people take what others have earned for them with their lives for granted.

Add to that the current administration that is dismantling America as we know it!

6. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

As for the odometer cluster... i went to a speedometer service shop and bought a new Odo set to -000000- miles for ~10 bucks. I don't know if it was legal or not. Since my car had 105K miles on it, I didn't feel like this was cheating.

Anyways, I want to Speedometer Service Exchange in Dunwoody (Atlanta), GA. This was about 20 years ago. They may not sell new Odometer clusters anymore.

Oh, and the cluster dropped right into the plastic housing.

7. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Resetting the odometer is very delicate work. Like Gary said, it's built to be tamper proof. It isn't illegal to reset the odometer as long as the car isn't said to have "actual mileage".

If you send your speedo to me, it can be repaired and recalibrated it for a lot less than a NEW speedo will cost you.