Oil change frequency thread

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Krator, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah New Member

The efficiency of new fuel injection helps a lot too. Not like old carbed engines that might be running bad due to flooding, or any other reason for over-fueling.

I still can't leave conventional oil in longer than 3500 or 4000 miles. My wife's terrain has 8000 miles and has had 2 oil changes. The dealer told me not needed yet, I said change it!

My co truck is gas engine, and idles ALOT. It gets changed every 3000. Maybe I'm wastin $$, makes me feel better. Of course my Z every 3000, same for any other carbed engine I have.

2. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

While this is very true the main thing you have to watch for is additive depletion. When the anti wear additives have depleted (TBN low) even if the oil looks good it is time to change it. Some engines are hard on oil and others are easy on oil and the only way to know what any given engine likes is to do multiple oil analysis to see how the oil is reacting and you can continue to extend the change interval further and further as long as your TBN remains above 2 and you dont have any other harmful contaminates in the oil.

I keep intending to do this but I never seem to get around to it so just to stay on the safe side I change all of our cars and trucks at 7K to 8K (amsoil 10W-30/30WT diesel oil in the daily drivers and work trucks with a wix filter). This is an incredible oil for pretty much everything with a 4 cycle engine. It is a group IV base stock with a ton of detergents and anti wear additives (including zddp). The base stock is so good they did not have to add any viscosity modifiers to get it to flow like a 10W-30. Viscosity modifiers weaken an oils sheer resistance and by not needing any coupled with the great additive package makes this oil incredible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Every 6 months or so the chain stores have oil jugs on sale for short money. Usually that's about 7000 miles. Wix filter and cheapo oil.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Once a year no matter if it only has under 1k miles

5. global warmer

global warmer Veteran Member

Both my tundra and the wifes muraino every 3k with mobil one synthetic, oil is cheap. My dairy farmer neighbor takes the oil and puts in back into his farm trucks and runs it for another 3K, he tells me I'm crazy... Maybe so

6. BMR Suspension

BMR Suspension Veteran Member

I used to have a Honda Company Car. I did Mobil 1 Synthetic at about 15,000 Miles. The car was running Great when it got Traded In with 350,000 Miles

7. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Most of the new cars we service and sell at the dealership are all going with synthetic oils and change intervals anywhere between 7500-10K miles

8. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What year Silverado? I was always under the impression that GM used time, temperature and engine load for the oil life monitors.

9. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

I change it when my dashboard tells me to. I have a '12 Civic with ~26k miles (bought it with ~13, miles) and have only changed the oil once and it still had ~15% life according to the oil life monitor.

When I changed it I used a full synthetic (I don't remember which brand). It's not required but I did it anyway. The manual says conventional oil is fine, I prefer to run synthetic. Added insurance IMHO. I think I used Valvoline IIRC. It's hard to remember since it was almost a year ago.

10. dui's Z

dui's Z Guest

I stopped reading replies after the second one. Look at your oil. It speaks to you. I have 4 vehicles. My ranger and wifes toyota van's engines degrade oil differently. Her explorer is a 6 month a year vehicle, it sits alot. I just changed the 2 main vehicle's oil. The explorers in February. It needs to be changed do to water Content from lack of operation. The camaro's newest engine is a used upgraded bbc. It's oil changes are based soley on what it looks like. Everything I do is based on 3k miles or three or less months. They have 150k easy. O3 explorer, 2000 siena, 98 ranger and my 77z.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014