Oil Dipstick Side of Engine

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Adam G, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Adam G

Adam G Veteran Member

Hey guys, shouldn’t the oil dipstick on all LM1 350’s be on the driver’s side of the motor? This is what I’ve always thought.

Not sure if it matters for a no-AC car. But I didn’t think so.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I believe that dipstick location changed around 1980. Check engine numbers to see if it is original.

3. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

As Gary mentioned, I'm pretty sure it was 1980 also due to something about it hitting the A/C compressor or something. Also, you didn't mention if the motor was original or not, but if your motor was replaced with a new crate engine, a lot of them come with the capability to put the dipstick on either side... maybe that's what happend with yours, or a 1980 or later motor was put in.

4. Adam G

Adam G Veteran Member

The car in question is a 1979 Z28 that I saw for sale. Real nice car, 47k (as reported) original miles, automatic, no AC car. White, with the deep burgundy interior color. Appeared to be original mileage with very little wear and tear on both the interior and exterior, even has the original exhaust system from the mufflers back. The original cat was replaced with a newer, smaller one.

Everything looked good until I saw the oil dipstick on the passenger side of the engine. Then the questions came to mind......

I guess the only way to be 100% sure if it's the original engine is to check the numbers.

5. severum17

severum17 New Member

It might be a Goodwrench replacement engine.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 79 (bought new) has dipstick on driver side. And sometimes behind the wheel, according to the wife. :)