Oil Pressure Sensor

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Coadster32, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking to replace my oil pressure sensor. This is one like I have. Not a lot of room for it, and that's with an elbow to give it some clearance.
    big.jpg

Looking for one like this smaller one below. It needs to work with a gauge though, and not a light, (that's all I seem to find). Any direction would be appreciated.
    small.jpg

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for, at least I haven't. I have the larger one under the distributor, it did fit on mine (Autometer gauge) and idiot light is above the oil filter. You can use either in either position.

3. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

for the 1000th time..........
    your sender has to match your gauge or your reading will not be accurate
    they are 2 parts that must be matched to each other and calibrated to work together to work correctly...... you just don't go and get any sender unless you have an idiot light, If you have a gauge you must use a sender that goes with that gauge or know exactly how it works and get a sender with the exact same specs as the one your trying to replace which is virtually impossible since all gauge makers use their own designs and specs....which is why you can't find one.

Now your gauge reads PRESSURE this means you can extend a line using a flex hose and brass fittings and put a sender in your trunk if you wanted too as PRESSURE will pressurize the line the exact same amount and read accurately as long as the lines are sealed tight (no oil leaks). Think of a tire, when you put air in it the pressure equalizes inside the whole tire.... you can mount a sender anywhere....

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I need to clarify my post. Yes, the sending unit needs to match the gauge or light. But you can install the sending units at either the common location by the distributor or above the oil filter. Just connect the correct wire to the corresponding gauge/light.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Plenty of room under the HEI. i have 2 there, one for my gauge and one for a warning light.

6. Coadster32

I fully understand that the sensor needs to match the gauge. I learned that on the temp sensor quite a while back, and that wasn't my question. Was wondering if they made the small sensors for gauges at all, as all I was finding was that they were for lights. Then I could either track one down, or not waste my time trying. I did forget that mechanical gages read at the gauge, and could add an extra fitting if need be.

Ahh yes...that might work for me. Mine is by the oil filter...Didn't know there was another position on the block to choose from. Thank you for that.

Either way, thank you for the responses. I'll try to relocate the one I have, and/or try a different fitting.

7. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

8. 70Znut

70Znut Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I relocated my Autometer sender next to the wiper motor with a rubber coated hose clamp, the fitting on the block
    allows use of my second sender to my data logger.
    oil pressure sender (2).jpg oil pressure sender (1).jpg

berg2695 likes this.
  9. Coadster32

My block only has a spot for one location. It worked before...just trying to gain a little bit more elbow room. Thanks for the pics and suggestions.:bowtie:

20200823_085356.jpg

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Just above oil filter pad there should be a pipe thread plug that sees oil pressure. I'm going to use that for a separate gauge on mine.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.