Oil pump pickup

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Scott Sievers, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Kevinray3

Kevinray3 New Member

Good news update, I pulled the oil pan today & sure enough it is a BBC oil pump. Thank god, M77HV .75" pickup tube. My uncle must've bought the pump without the shaft & had one in his shop handy & installed it, well the handy shaft was a for a SB. Not so handy when the distributor won't reach it!

Bandit723 likes this.
  2. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

LOL.. sucks you had to pull the pan, but awesome that the problem is easily remedied!

My Question on the Summit page for the melling M-99HV-S does come with the shaft, the pickup and the pump.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs

3. Kevinray3

Kevinray3 New Member

There's no telling where my uncle bought the pump when he was building that engine, probably wasn't summit! but it's obvious it wasn't a new shaft. Like it had been laying around for years, terrible shape, pitted even! But straight I guess. Not sure what he was thinking with it being a freshly bored/blueprinted engine. I mean he's a mechanic & hot rodder from way back (his handle is hot wheels) & I consult him a bunch when I have questions, but this one really leaves me scratching my head

4. Scott Sievers

We all have those days where we should have stayed in bed instead of picking up a wrench. Don't scratch too hard it may cause baldness!

5. Scott Sievers

434 rotating assembly is together, the pump kit came today. I'll be closing up the bottom end this week, I'll try to get some pics of this pump!

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Thanks for all the good oil pump research.

7. Scott Sievers

DSCF5259.JPG DSCF5258.JPG

Making sure everything clears. I have to weld the pickup to the pump body.. the oil pump stud kit will be here Friday. One thing about these pumps, is that you cant use the stock bolt, its too short! THE MOMENT I went to drop the bolt in, I remembered that... It was one of those DOH moments. I should have ordered the stud with the pump...

8. Scott Sievers

DSCF5260.JPG

Lots of clearance so were good to go!

DSCF5257.JPG

head studs etc will be in thursday, so it will be a busy weekend making sure the beer in the mini fridge at the shop doesnt go past the spoil date!