Old school SBC/BBC to LS family comparo.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Sep 23, 2013.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

$2,985 is for a bare block, not a shortblock as far as I know. You can get them short, but not at that price from what I can see

2. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I was just going on what he said in his post. For less than 3K, if it is a short block, its full of Chinese crap, not quality forged parts.

3. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well if you buy them from a business that is going under you can get good deals. I did not say you can do this everyday. I really don't care what you think I know what I paid. It was a short block not a bare

4. 5spd540

I knew this was going to get into a pissing match so I am out on this thread. See YA :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK I can accept that. I thought you were trying to say this was something everyone could do all day, and having a shortblock is a huge part of the cost. I have to say if you paid $3,000 for a Dart shortblock with (I would assume) forged internals you got a bad ass deal.

6. 5spd540

It is forged they were bought for a guy and he never picked them up. We had to buy them both to get the deal

7. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Great score! That 540 should be a beast, especially with a manual ! Its hard to beat the old BBC when it comes to raw NA torque. Biggest issue you will have is keeping it off the guardrail when you play with that 5 spd and lining up the gas stops on a road trip, LOL.
    That guy I spoke of in the earlier post w the single turbo, blow through setup is running a G-force 5 spd. That thing is nasty! Go over to LS1Tech and look it up on the carbed LSX forum "blow through 6.0 s480 5 spd ". Flat out wicked manual car. 9.57 at 147 and plenty left in it. It is worth a jump over there to check it out.
    Now back to your regularly scheduled LS thread, LOL.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

He was. Every time this guy tells a "story" it changes as people call him out on the facts. We went from being able to build it everyday all day for under $5k to this one time at his buddies shop he got this special deal. I'm not really sure how anyone can take him serious anymore.

9. 5spd540

You are the reason I dont like coming on this fourm you are just a azz

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Nah, I think that was me : According to you. Or perhaps its the LS guys torque
    curves, cost of making 700 hp, or truck motors only needing simple tuning to get
    500 hp. There are a LOT of tall tales on this forum, but none other is as skewed
    as the LT1 vs LS1 debate. Constantly the 30 hp difference jumps to 150 hp to
    300 pounds lighter to all other bits of rubbish. I have just kinda watched this in
    the background play out over the last few days. IMO LS guys sound like Ricers.

You can make big power from ANY engine with the right parts. It doesn't have
    to be a VTEC ... I mean .. LSx.

[​IMG]

"Dragrace YUGO. 1.3L 115hp 4cyl fulrace YUGO runs 14.70s @ 90 (all motor)
    This car was featured in the Jan. 2001 Hot Rod magazine. That is the 12th magazine it has been in. It was also on the front page of the Wall Street Journal on May 25, 1999."

Tom