Older USA-5 Radio with Cassette

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by bkmont, Sep 6, 2020.

1. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Anybody out there using one of these radios in their car? I just pulled out an old Pioneer radio with 8-track that started having issues. I took a $20 chance on Ebay to buy an untested one. Turns out the radio and cassette works great. Everything functions like it should.
    But I do have a question about it. Is there supposed to be a clock display on this early version of a USA-5?
    IMG_0563.JPG

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

On most old digital radios, there is typically a clock button to switch from station to time display.

That’s if there’s a time display.

It should also have hour/minute buttons to set the time.

I can’t read any of the button labels in your pic.

Check the owner’s manual

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/734915/custom-autosound-usa-5.html

3. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Twisted,
    I did google for a owners manual and found the same one that you did. My radio doesn't have the same button arrangement as the one found. From left to right it's Eject, CD, BND, DX, 1 (arrow up), 2 (arrow down), 3 R/P, 4IN, 5SH, 6, P/S, T>, T<, Program buttons <<, >>.

Unless there's some hidden feature somewhere, I'm thinking that this version of the USA-5 doesn't have a TIME display option.

Oh well, for $20 I think I got a bargain. I just went on a cassette buying spree of some the music I grew up with. My cassette playlist as of now:
    The Who Live at Leeds
    Black Sabbath Paranoid
    Lynyrd Skynyrd One More From the Road
    Rolling Stones get Your Ya Yas Out, Exile on Main Street, Black and Blue, Some Girls, (you can tell I'm a 70s Stones fan)
    Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells a Story
    The Band Live in Concert
    Van Halen
    Van Halen II
    Zeppelin Remastered Box Set
    Simon and Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Waters
    Neil Young After the Gold Rush
    Rock on!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Dave Nelson and Zstar like this.
  4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Awesome playlist. See if you can find one of the cleaning cassettes that cleans the rollers and magnetic head. Or take some time and do that with a q-tip and alcohol

bkmont likes this.
  5. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

biker,
    Will do. Thanks for the reminder.

After I installed the radio I needed a cassette to test the unit out so I asked my wife "Honey do we still have some old music cassettes? She said "garage sale'd or threw out a long time ago". Luckily, I found an old Memorex tape that someone had given to me in the bottom of my Crate amplifier.

I also told her "don't be shocked at the Ebay charges:whine: for buying things I had already owned once before".

Funny how all things seem to come around again. As Harry use to sing "All my life's a circle,"