On my third header panel, second Hood.

hullj21

Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2012
Brownsburg, In
Anyone have any advice on how to approach this. I’m not a body guy, but I believe that this is a common problem in this area. I’ve bought three header panels and now two hoods trying to get this roughed in. The hood hits in the front right and the gaps are all over the place. My gut tells me to start cutting and welding on the header to meet the hood. But again, I’m not a body guy. The hood is centered side to side and lined up front to back. It’s pretty close along the fender height wise. This hood and header is by far the best fit out of all of them so far.
5A6AB585-7FBD-428B-90DF-7DB0CB1C3EE6.jpeg
C10998E9-3FDA-4D25-817B-EAD34BE51C7C.jpeg
054B9202-4AED-4DB9-B528-8AE4FBC55F5A.jpeg
AFE3C5A1-1FBC-48BA-91A5-629F3664B308.jpeg
827F54F7-8E13-4438-A267-DEBEC07A86C8.jpeg

hullj21

Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2012
Brownsburg, In
Is this a reproduction header? Of course the hood is and it’s not shocking it lacks a OE fitment. You’re gonna have to weld on the hood.
Yes Sir, I have two repop’s and a GM header ( not from my car, I started with literally just a rusted out shell) and I just replaced the lower valance with a NOS GM lower because I thought maybe it was crooked but come to find out it was the core support which I’ve already corrected. The front is square. It’s all locked down tight. All I’m dealing with for now is the header, hood, fenders fitment. The GM header panel I have is pretty rusted out but it doesn’t fit that great either.
CEA5D36B-E3FE-47A7-9D5B-5F4E66F7931C.jpeg
256C96F6-9CC7-4840-B943-85D0278B1BF6.jpeg
7C8DCAD0-7110-457A-8C1D-1D7192DCCA24.jpeg
4859452C-4829-46AC-A1F4-96EA4E5D2BDE.jpeg
2131D55E-6903-4AFC-848F-CFCC61F5B4F5.jpeg

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
Measure the hood both sides.I had one of those hoods years ago,and it was a 1/4" longer on the one side,and bowed in the middle on both sides so that you could see into the engine bay when the hood was shut.
The headers do get bounced around,so they can be pushed,pulled,and proped up at the support to make up any irregularites.
If you cant source oem,your going to have to cut and weld to make what you have look as good as you can.
I wound up cutting my 600.00 steel cowl and welding it onto a good stock hood,about a year before they released steel cowls,lol.
Good luck.

hullj21

Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2012
Brownsburg, In
Measure the hood both sides.I had one of those hoods years ago,and it was a 1/4" longer on the one side,and bowed in the middle on both sides so that you could see into the engine bay when the hood was shut.
The headers do get bounced around,so they can be pushed,pulled,and proped up at the support to make up any irregularites.
If you cant source oem,your going to have to cut and weld to make what you have look as good as you can.
I wound up cutting my 600.00 steel cowl and welding it onto a good stock hood,about a year before they released steel cowls,lol.
Good luck.
Thank you for your help. And I did see your post about cutting and re fitting it to a factory hood. I will check the hood tonight when I get home. I thought I did measure it but can’t remember for certain. It would make sense as all the headers seem to have some similar problems. Among others. The passenger side seems to be the tight fitting front to back side.
I’m not really a “body man” so the thing that worries me the most is cutting the hood and not being able to get it straight due to warping. But I will just need to slow down and watch the heat. Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated coming from guys who have been there done that. I enjoy fabrication work and want to learn more about bodywork, I guess now is as good of time than any. It’s only metal right.

hullj21

Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2012
Brownsburg, In
Is this a reproduction header? Of course the hood is and it’s not shocking it lacks a OE fitment. You’re gonna have to weld on the hood.
I have a OE header I can sell, but the issue is surely the hood
It is a reproduction. The hood is a Dynacorn hood and this header is also. I have a second reproduction that came unmarked and has no visible numbers on it. When i called the company I bought it from they said they use multiple different venders and couldn’t tell me where it came from.
But that’s what I was asking more less. Cut and weld the hood or cut and weld the header. Sounds like everyone is pointing to cutting and welding on the hood. Thanks for taking your time to help. Very much appreciated sir.

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
i have aftermarket hood, upper valance and driver fender "skin" the rest is original . with that being said i have over 40 years in body and paint ,i still ended up cutting and welding the header and hood .after i reskinned new dr . fender onto original brackets. if i had it to do over i would have used original gm due to the fact your still going to have to put time in them . i have a lot of time in mine (not going to say).take your time the sheet metal on aftermarket suck you can blow through it easy with welder . i did alot of behind the trim stuff to add durability. have fun.

Attachments

• 1107201607.jpg
    1107201607.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 0227221428.jpg
    0227221428.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 52

hullj21

Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2012
Brownsburg, In
i have aftermarket hood, upper valance and driver fender "skin" the rest is original . with that being said i have over 40 years in body and paint ,i still ended up cutting and welding the header and hood .after i reskinned new dr . fender onto original brackets. if i had it to do over i would have used original gm due to the fact your still going to have to put time in them . i have a lot of time in mine (not going to say).take your time the sheet metal on aftermarket suck you can blow through it easy with welder . i did alot of behind the trim stuff to add durability. have fun.
Wow, that’s beautiful man. Looks amazing.
I’ve been hesitant to cut into these panels. I’m just about ready to start grinding. I have already started repairing the GM header I have. I agree the quality is terrible on the repop’s even the body lines are poorly stamped. I was going to cut a section out of the repop to patch the GM panel but the body lines don’t even come close to matching. I will have to just make the patches out of 18 ga sheet metal. I’ve known from the start the front of this car was going to be a challenge because of all the rounded body lines.
Thank you for the help. It’s very much appreciated Sir.

Latest posts