Ongoing car show idiotness...

ColdBastrd

Veteran Member
Jul 9, 2002
1dkm4me said:
the kid dolls are super creepy
Yeah I don't get them. What are they supposed to represent? Your kid upset they you are spending their inheritance on a car? The kid touched your car and you made them take a time out? The kid is upset unless you give them a trophy? The kid is tired of walking around the show and taking a rest? They are counting down like you would to play hide and seek? I suppose I should ask a car owner wtf the kid doll on the bumper is all about on his car to find out but I never bothered.

They've been around at car shows since I am guessing the late 90s(?) and they refuse to go away. I want to punt them into a trash can any time I see one.

Buickfunnycar

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
ColdBastrd said:
Yeah I don't get them. What are they supposed to represent? Your kid upset they you are spending their inheritance on a car? The kid touched your car and you made them take a time out? The kid is upset unless you give them a trophy? The kid is tired of walking around the show and taking a rest? They are counting down like you would to play hide and seek? I suppose I should ask a car owner wtf the kid doll on the bumper is all about on his car to find out but I never bothered.

They've been around at car shows since I am guessing the late 90s(?) and they refuse to go away. I want to punt them into a trash can any time I see one.

Don't forget the pissing dogs CB with one leg up, usually with some water poured underneath...:rolleyes:

dirtmod08

Veteran Member
Jan 17, 2007
Central Illinois
ColdBastrd said:

It was said that the Chrome Czars of Chicago had burnt a pouting doll at their car show - I think they put it out for flame thrower exhaust to burn it - to make fun of the "Gold Chainer" car show habits - since the group is into "Traditional Hotrods" = car show haters, lol.
Well, this idea backfired. What wasn't thought about was the fact that a few little kids of theirs got traumatized. Yea, they thought the pouting doll on fire was a real little kid on fire, and I heard it freaked the kids out a little. Oops.:eek:

Buickfunnycar

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
dirtmod08 said:
It was said that the Chrome Czars of Chicago had burnt a pouting doll at their car show - I think they put it out for flame thrower exhaust to burn it - to make fun of the "Gold Chainer" car show habits - since the group is into "Traditional Hotrods" = car show haters, lol.
Well, this idea backfired. What wasn't thought about was the fact that a few little kids of theirs got traumatized. Yea, they thought the pouting doll on fire was a real little kid on fire, and I heard it freaked the kids out a little. Oops.:eek:

Nope...can't do that in the PC world we live in.

Buickfunnycar

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mike N said:
Nothing personal, John... but one of the reasons I stopped going to car shows was the number of guys that did exactly what you wanted to do, which is point out flaws and/or things you thought to be incorrect in their car. Let people build their cars the way they want to and offer your opinion when it's asked for.

I will never own a perfect show car and don't care to. However, I don't need someone constantly pointing out that the stripes on my ElCamino are incorrect for the year, it sits too high, I don't have the right emblem on the header panel or my hose clamps aren't the proper type. I used to go to shows and cruise ins to connect with other gear heads and not a bunch of nit pickers...

I don't go to shows to nitpick cars Mike, I go to enjoy the scene and check out craftsmanship and new ideas but yes, absolutely...I am pointing out Ford stickers to Chevrolet owners simply for the fact they are more than likely unaware...that they don't belong.

Maybe at one point if enough Chevy owners stopped buying them, the Chevrolet/Camaro catalogs would stop listing them? :rolleyes:

81BirdMan

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2004
dirtmod08 said:

Awesome!

Pa36.jpg

Computer_022.jpg

LayZ

Veteran Member
Jun 9, 1999
NJ. US
This conversation reminds me of the time I was at Englishtown for the swap meet. There are tons of fake Z28's there for sale. Well anyway I happend on a "70" that looked an awfully lot like a 73. Didn't have the correct tag cowl numbers, had the "newer" style console, the seat belts were clearly from a later 2nd gen. Didn't even have the tell tale 70 accerlator pedal. Anyway got to the engine and it wasn't stock. He must have been around because he pushed past me and my friend, said, "Excuse me" and shut the hood. Must have been butt hurt because he listed it as a true 70 Z28. Don't list it as something it's not.

THose kid dolls?!?! Yea WTF is that about. I noticed the 50's style guys always had them. Figured it was a thing with them, then a few of the 60's-70's started with them. I just think it's stupid. Then there is the guy that has way too much going on. There use to be a guy had every Taz devil Warner brothers ever made next to the car, then a minature car he had painted like his on the dash. To each his own but it was a bit overkill for me.
The one thing that I thought was cool, a bunch of teh guys that had teh 50's style cars dressed up like they just came out of the movie greese. It was sort of cool.

gammamaniac

Feb 1, 2013
Kansas
ColdBastrd said:
Yeah I don't get them. What are they supposed to represent? Your kid upset they you are spending their inheritance on a car? The kid touched your car and you made them take a time out? The kid is upset unless you give them a trophy? The kid is tired of walking around the show and taking a rest? They are counting down like you would to play hide and seek?

The kid is hiding his head in shame because his parent put a "Caution Fan" sticker on the shroud.