Open / enclosed trailer dilemma

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Bill81, Aug 24, 2016.

1. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My question is how much and how far do you intend to travel with the car? I have had both a 28 foot enclosed and currently a 20 foot steel deck open trailer.

Heres my take on both.

Enclosed

24' really is an absolute minimum length in my book. Leaves room to strap car down in front and behind it 20' you will be literally crawling under front bumper to get drivers side front strap hooked.

Very nice if driving long distance and protects the car better than an open ever can.

Real pain to get around town with, poor visibility, low ground clearance for uneven pavement.

Really going to push the limits of a 1/2 ton especially in hills.

Pull very hard in comparison due to wind drag of a giant shoe box going 70mph down the road.

Open

Much more versatile in allowing you to haul other loads. I use mine to haul my compact tractor and implements more than I do cars.

Much better visibility

20' is plenty long since you can walk around outside of trailer to hook straps.

Much easier to maneuver in tight spaces since you can see around the trailer much better than enclosed trailers.

Also much more 1/2 ton truck friendly.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. Bill81

Bill81 Veteran Member

My truck does have the towing package, so that will help a little bit. I know it would be at it's limit, but I will not be upgrading. I don't tow enough to upgrade. My wife does have 3 sisters, but you wouldn't want any of them. After 29 years, she still tries to get me good things.

I wouldn't use it a lot. I don't use my open trailer a lot either. I like the points that you gave me blue72, those are what I was looking for. I have already thought about how much of a pain it was going to be to back it up. I store my trailer in my back yard now, and I have to open the gate. I don't know how hard it would be with an enclosed to back it up in the yard. I have to call HOA to see if they would freak out or not.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I have a very big triple TAG that I park inside my shop.
    I can get it within 2-3 inch's of the wall with very little issue.
    Experience with a little trailer like that will come quick.
    Maybe if you were going another 15' larger it would be an issue, but a tiny one like that is going to park the same as an open, especially in your own yard that you know and doesn't need any tight maneuvering.

Does your wife want an enclosed to protect the car, or to protect you guys sitting in the sun, rain, etc on your outings???

Like a couple of us said, an enclosed is awesome, if you have the truck and the need.
    Another idea is an quality open trailer with the front air damn.
    I've seen some that protect the car very well, and some are thicker with a little storage space also.

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  5. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

IF backing into your yard is a straight shot I agree with what he says not a problem but backing enclosed around corners is where it can become a real pain as you have absolutely 0 visibility on the back side of the trailer which is not the case with an empty open trailer. That's just my .02 worth. I also didn't use my enclosed to go racing every weekend were everything was a routine. It went to quite a few car shows around and every hotel parking lot was a new challenge to get the trailer jockied into a place it could be left for the weekend.

6. clill

clill Veteran Member

I pulled a 20' Featherlite and then a 22' Featherlite with a half ton Ford Lightning just fine. When I moved up to a 24' I got a GMC 2500 Duramax.

7. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Heck I don't even own a trailer and know enclosed is the way to go.

But I do suppose depends on what and where your intentions are for the trailer.

8. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

It really depends on what you're doing with the car and the trailer. I have both an open and enclosed trailer and I love the enclosed for race weekends but if I just want to move a car the open is way more convenient.

9. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

Free vs having to pay extra for a enclosed trailer plus a possible new tow vehicle seems to be a no brainer for me. A enclosed would be nice if you are racing every weekend but a open will get the job done.

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Boy oh boy, I have beaten myself up analyzing which trailer to buy.

An open works best for towing but suffers for protection. Road trash, rocks, dirt, and hail/weather can ruin my Z28's finish. You can't put a car cover on it or it destroys the finish. The white plastic you see on new car haulers is very expensive to use.

An enclose trailer eliminates those concerns plus adds a security element to the picture.

A lightweight, all aluminum trailer costs a bunch. Even then, it weighs a lot for towing.

There are variations of the open/enclosed trailer that are interesting. Still, I don't know what is best for me...just decide what you want to do with it and go from there!