Opinion of GM 4.2 L Straight Six Engine

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Apr 12, 2014.

1. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't forget about the gauge cluster in the TB/envoys and about every pickup..

2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That was across the board with GM. My 04 Monte was part of that cluster recall as well.

I stand by what I said earlier, I'd take a 4.2 over a TBI V8 any day of the week. My DD has a TBI 350 and I can't pass anyone on a 2 lane road at 55-65 unless I have about 3/4 of a mile to work with.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I forgot about this......

My speedo took a dump, so I swapped.the.stepper motor. Still wasnt right.
    I ended up with two gauges not.working and used a roll pin inserted into
    The.cluster.to.hold my needles up at the right starting point on ignition

Pain in the ass but the bandaid sufficed
    Gauge incandescent bulbs are soldered in and fail quickly also.
    I bought leds and soldered them in place of them.

4. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

The wife has an 05 that has been a reliable vehicle that she loves, I've been trying to replace it for 4 years but she won't let go of it. I've replaced the secondary air pump and solenoid and the thermostat.

5. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

'06 4x4 Trailblazer here purchsed new. Have had ZERO problems, and the engine has plenty of power! I've towed several cars from and to as much as 6hrs away...! Think mine is like 290-295hp?

6. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Atlas Engine

Why do you think GM stopped producing the Atlas engines? Would it be they were expensive to manufacture with their double overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder?

It seems a straight six should have been offered in place of the 4.3 L V6 in the full size GM trucks.

7. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That 4.2L I-6 engine in the TB is awesome!! 163K by the time I traded my '02 in on my '13 Chevy Cruze.

When I bought my Camaro on '06, I used the TB to tow the Camaro on a U-Haul dual axle car hauler trailer - 450 miles from PA to Chicago.

It performed flawlessly, but I'm sure that was right at the limits of the towing capacity. In the 11 years I owned the TB, I replaced the alternator, the throttle body and thermostat. $500 worth of parts in 11 years, 163K miles.....what more could you ask of a vehicle these days?

Cons? Not tons of power, fairly poor mileage by today's standards 19/23 (my mileage)

8. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Flynt, they continued to make the 4 and 5 cyl motors with the Canyon and Colorado. I would have liked to have seen that 4.2 put in place of the 5 cyl but I guess GM was dead set on having that 5 in the small trucks. And they wonder why Toyota and Nissan now dominate that market.

Protour73, 19/23 is actually impressive for a truck based SUV. Most of the SUVs that push 30mpg are on a car chassis. I never could get more than 18 out of one, but my youngest brothers dad doesn't get much better, and he can't pull crap with that 5cyl.