Opinions on transmission pan with cooling tubes

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 450bench, Jul 20, 2007.

1. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

I just bought a 70 pro street camaro...It's got a new th400 transmission with a Derale deep trans pan with cooling tubes...I noticed that it doesn't have any transmissions cooling lines, though...I spoke with someone at Derale and they said that cooler lines to the radiator actually are more for warming the trasmisson fluid up as opposed to cooling it down...kinda news to me, but somewhat makes sense...The guy also said the cooling tubes will cool the fluid by up to 50 degrees...Does any of this make sense to anyone else? I just wonder if I should run some cooling lines anyway...

2. WildBillyT

WildBillyT Veteran Member

50 degrees for the cooling tubes? I'm not so sure about that. A buddy of mine had a Derale pan on his 2000 Z28 and while he saw it running a few degrees cooler it was certainly not 50. Your milage may vary I guess.

I'd run an external trans cooler as well.

3. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

I agree...50 degrees sounds a bit much

4. IDLZRUF

IDLZRUF Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No way youd get 50 degrees plus what happens if your in traffic no air flow.Buy a good quality trans cooler.

5. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

I agree with the stock coolers in rad being a warmer to a point.

Auto transmissions will run hot, like 240* w/o any cooler.. The auto rad cooler will bring temp down to around what your water temp is running at (180-195*)

But on the other hand a good external trans cooler by it's self is not limited to the water temp of engine.. So a good cooler by its self can bring temps down to 175* or so

The cooling tubes on those pans does help, but it won't drop the temp 50*, nor will it keep the trans at a safe temp w/o some type of cooler.

Remember you want to keep trans temps under 190*.

Race only, Trailered to the track, pushed on/ off trailer, 1/4 mile drag race, in pits to cool down... Is the only type car I would even think about running with out a cooler. Then still I would think and think about it and end up adding a cooler anyway

6. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

agreed

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

External trans cooler with a fan on it will actually cool the fluid. I seriously doubt that the cooling tubes would do any good with the vehicle no moving.

8. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

I like the constant temp cooler idea of the using an external cooler then through the radiator then back to the tranny idea.

Keeps fluid warm at 20* and cool at 105*

9. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The transmission will heat fluid up faster than the engine heats the coolant in most cases.
    The fluid should be routed through an external cooler in all cases, but if routing through the radiator, it should go through the radiator first, then the external cooler, and back to the trans.
    You're not going to keep it too cool...

The Derale pans are OK. They are pretty beefy construction, but as a cooling device, they don't do much.
    I used to sell them but don't anymore. If the pan is going to have the added depth, it may as well have the pickup deeper in the oil. This doesn't happen on the Derale pans.

I sell a deep aluminum finned aluminum pan. Customer used on a G-body last week and reported a 15* reduction in temps from the previous stock pan.